Friday 20 December 2013

Spurr's Christmas Message

Sorry to spoil your mad Friday fun, but I thought everyone would like to share the following platitudinous Christmas message from Noms HQ:-


Reflections on 2013 from Michael Spurr, NOMS Chief Executive Officer 

I know that the last 12 months has been very difficult for colleagues across the Probation Service. The Transforming Rehabilitation reforms have created understandable uncertainty and concern both from a professional and personal perspective, and I recognise the impact this has had on individuals. Despite this – colleagues have continued to work incredibly well to deliver a high quality service for the public and I want to pay tribute to the resilience and professionalism of staff across probation trusts which is evident wherever I go. 

The TR programme is now rapidly moving into the implementation phase, and the appointment of deputy directors in the National Probation Service (NPS) and chief executives for the Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRCs) will provide clear probation leadership to support the process going forward. We have worked hard to ensure that there are proper protections in place for staff as we implement the change process and I am very pleased that the National Agreement on Staff Transfer and Protections has now been agreed by both employers and trades unions and will be ratified at the National Negotiating Council in January. This is really good news – and hopefully will alleviate many of the understandable concerns colleagues currently have about the process. We are committed to treating staff properly and fairly and the agreement means that we can now move forward together to deliver the change required.
 


Change of this magnitude is never going to be easy – but as we move to new structures there are real opportunities to develop new ways of working and to improve the service we offer to the public. The extension of supervision to the under 12 month group of prisoners has the potential to make a huge difference to those with the highest rates of reoffending. The freedoms available within CRCs will enable staff to operate with greater flexibility and ability to focus on individual needs – something which colleagues have long yearned for. And in the NPS we will have the opportunity to develop practice as world leaders in public protection and management of high risk offenders. 

The Transforming Rehabilitation reforms will become a reality over the coming months.  We owe it to the public we serve to ensure they are delivered successfully and that we maximise the opportunities they present to improve outcomes for offenders. I and my colleagues on the NOMS Board are absolutely committed to working with you to achieve this. 

I know that colleagues across probation are motivated by a passionate desire to ‘make a difference’. The reforms will provide opportunity for us to work with more offenders to make a bigger difference in reoffending than we have been able to achieve to date. Despite all the concerns and uncertainty – that is a goal worth striving for. 

I know it has not been easy and I want to reassure you that I will do everything possible to work with trades unions and to support staff through the change process over the coming months. 


Thank you for everything you are doing. May I take this opportunity to wish you and your families a happy and peaceful Christmas. 

Michael Spurr 
NOMS Chief Executive Officer 


PS This blog hit a new all-time record yesterday with 4044 hits - thanks everyone!

22 comments:

  1. They just can't see it, can they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait till shit hits the fan, they'll see it then!

      Delete
  2. Ugh. Never seen the word "colleagues" used so frequently yet with such mendacity.

    Just as with Grayling's missive a few weeks back, I'm left thinking "who the hell at NOMS thought this would be a good idea?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Committed to alleviating our concerns and treating us fairly. I think not. They tried hard to wreck negotiations and to erode our hard won rights. Don't make me laugh. They wouldn't have negotiated had the unions not put pressure on and this same man actually instructed our employers not to negotiate with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'You took the words right out of my mouth.' Loaf, M. 1977

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many bright and shiny words, so much faint praise (always makes me think of 'young Mr Grace' - remember him)? However, just because someone keeps insisting something over and over again doesn't mean it will happen in the way they say it will.......fob us off with platitudes Mr Spurr, don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The public, as yet, may not understand what you are doing, but we do. As things get worse and the anger rages we will make sure they remember the kind folk at the MOJ who colluded with the corruption over the theft of Public money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having read the fantastic comments it just goes to show how highly trained we are to read between the lines (offenders can be manipulative whose comments can be far from the truth) we are a skeptical lot and rightly so Chris Grayling has no idea who he is dealing with. My philosophy which works with my cases generally is "don't tell me show me" !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes....me too...go forth and multiply

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought TR was about cutting bureaucracy, I had a look at the new model for raising the risk of an offender in this new utopia. Presently if I have a concern, I walk into my senior’s office about 15ft away and discuss the case. Under TR a 10 page form for referral to NPS is proposed. Laugh, I almost cried; so in future rather than getting on with a recall if required, staff will be filling out a referral form to get the case looked at by NPS, a great way of reducing risk to the public. In all seriousness, the few processes that they have come up with are more complicated than present, I cannot see how this will be more efficient and cheaper in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha Ha Ha good point look where N Delius has left us - how many entries before we can issue a warning letter? Welcome to the potential new world !!!!!We appear to be stepping back in time not moving forward

    ReplyDelete
  11. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlwrZNaJ9HE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Chris Grayling Downfall' video seems to have disappeared.

      Delete
    2. Still there same link. But need to read the sub titles.

      Delete
  12. Mr Spur, sorry for responding with uncharitable sentiment, but I've always sensed the anti probation spirit in NoMs, ever since it was dragged into existence. Your love letter won't wash. If you wanted to work with us so much, happen you would have got your head around offender management by now. It's easy for the more powerfulto give out platitudes to those who are facing adversity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't want to be abusive during this TR stuff, but what I read today has tipped me over the edge. I make no apology for what comes next.

    "I know that colleagues across probation are motivated by a passionate desire to 'make a difference'..."

    1. Why make that statement of the bleedin' obvious to us?
    2. Why punctuate with parantheses?

    My reading of your "reflection" - you're taking the piss, fella.

    Not just out of probation staff, but out of the electorate, the Civil Service & anyone else who doesn't agree with you. You should be ashamed. I thought Xmas was the time for goodwill to all, the birth of the Christian ethic & belief system. Nope. Its a time of fuck you, I'm alright Jack. I wouldn't waste my time pissing on you if you were on fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have said that better myself. Smug individual who has blagged himself an 11% pay rise despite doing what I think it a rubbish job. But hey he and failing grayling thinks its makes sense to dismantle high performing trusts for inexperienced private companies. Yeah they make a lot of sense.

      25 out of 25 it will fail, but yet they are still pushing through. I hope they have their speeches ready to say to the families and friends of victims, who will be hurt as a result of this absolute shambles. You won't be able to do a G4S or Serco and through money at it, they will be holding you to account, and they will want answers from you.

      Delete
  14. I was motivated to 'make a difference but now, to be honest mr spurr, I couldn't care less. As an aside, I just had to laugh out loud because, as I wrote spurr, it was autocorrected to spurt....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't give a shit either at the moment. Talking about tossing salt into the wounds of probation staff. Did he really think that letter would appeal to us.

      Delete
  15. Yes, Mr Spurr, you can take this opportunity to wish me and my family a happy and peaceful Christmas. Can I take this opportunity to wish you, ya weasel - a miserable Christmas, only a fraction of the misery you have heaped upon us in the Probation Service, after all, it is the time of goodwill toward all men and woman........no I take that back, you are a sanctimonious weasel, with no redeeming qualities, even at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 years in I have to take exception to your comment. It is right to be frustrated and angry but comparing Spurr to a weasel really does an injustice to weasels.

      Delete
  16. How dare you send such a letter Mr Spurr? Take some responsibility for your actions in destroying the probation service and many of the hard working people in it Mr Spurr. You are the one who could have said stop and be listened to but no, we are all telling you that victims will result. On your head be it, shame on you.

    ReplyDelete