Thursday 27 June 2019

NPS Staffing Crisis

The new Chief Inspector of Probation published a fairly positive report on NPS in the North East yesterday, but once again it highlighted the staffing crisis largely brought about by TR:-

North East probation service delivering innovative work, despite heavy workloads

A probation service in the North East of England has been commended for its strong leadership and the innovative way it supports individuals to move away from further offending. The North East Division of the National Probation Service (NPS) supervises almost 19,000 high-risk offenders across a large area that stretches from the Scottish border to The Wash in Lincolnshire.

HM Inspectorate of Probation conducted a routine inspection of the North East Division of the NPS and looked at 10 aspects of its work. The Inspectorate has given the Division an overall ‘Good’ rating, its second-highest mark.

Chief Inspector of Probation Justin Russell said: “Leaders in the North East Division of the NPS have a clear vision and strategy to deliver a quality service, and this has been communicated well to staff and key stakeholders. However, the Division is not always able to achieve this ambition because of staff shortages and high workloads.”

There is a lack of qualified probation officers across England and Wales, and inspectors found significant shortages across this Division too. Restrictions to local recruitment have further hampered efforts to place newly qualified officers in the offices where they are most needed.

Mr Russell said: “Despite staff shortages and some heavy workloads, staff across the Division take the time to develop professional relationships with the individuals under their supervision. If individuals missed appointments or broke the rules of their orders, staff did excellent work to engage individuals again and get them back on track.”

Inspectors found the Division offers a comprehensive range of services to individuals to support their rehabilitation. Pioneering initiatives include ‘Project Beta’, a collaboration between HM Prison and Probation Service, Durham County Council and Darlington Borough Council. The project works with individuals who are leaving prisons across the North East to help ensure they enter stable accommodation on release to provide a foundation for beginning a life free from crime. Inspectors also noted a network of community hubs in Cleveland has supported women to move away from crime and reoffending.

The Division has also been proactive in addressing gaps in its services. Probation staff wanted to strengthen their work with sexual offenders so set up additional training and a library of resources. Staff can now work with this complex and challenging group of offenders with greater expertise and confidence.

Work with victims of serious crime was found to be of a good standard. The Division runs a statutory scheme that provides victims with updates on the perpetrator’s sentence and gives them an opportunity to contribute their views on release plans. Contact with victims was timely and supportive in nearly nine out of 10 inspected cases, and victims received clear communications throughout the course of the sentence. However, inspectors found a small number of victims were not contacted about the scheme; the Inspectorate is now encouraging the Division to make sure all eligible victims are approached.

Inspectors found the overall quality of work with individuals under supervision was generally good, but some aspects require improvement.

Mr Russell said: “The Division needs to take a more robust approach to risk management in order to keep potential and actual victims safe. In a third of inspected cases, the risk assessments did not contain enough information about who might be at risk of harm from the individual under supervision and the exact nature of that risk. For example, some assessments overlooked victims of previous offences.”

The Inspectorate has made seven recommendations to improve the quality of the Division’s work.

Mr Russell added: “There is much to commend in the innovative and proactive leadership of the North East division of the NPS. Taking the opportunity to learn from this inspection will enable the division to further improve its service delivery.”

--oo00oo--

A few weeks ago a question on Facebook sought to address the staffing problem and the responses might prove enlightening, not just to the MoJ as they beaver away in earnest on the new probation model, but also to those currently contemplating a career in this line of work:-

What would it take to convince you to return to probation or retain you as a member of frontline probation staff if you are thinking of rejoining or leaving? If you are temping what would encourage you to move from temping to permanent work? 

A parking space would be a start.

Ditto.

I would want more pay and manageable caseload but that's a pipe dream.

I was recently tempted back to a permanent PO post from agency, as they’ve agreed to give me extended leave (unpaid), to enable me to maintain flexibility to xxxxxx each year. I feel very lucky - have yet to see how the reduced income will impact though!

I’d like that. To spend more time xxxxxxxxx.


Definitely. Ill health and the privatisation made me re-evaluate life’s priorities .. go for what makes you happy and live your best life. x

Yes time to re-evaluate definitely.


Reduced stress helps! X

Yes. I get told by friends that stress can kill even. 
I’m XX. If I early retired this year I’d only get £XX a year pension. I’m looking into flexible retirement. I’m XX this year and no matter what pension is - at 60 I’m going to early retire.

I agree totally .. my plan is to retire early and move to Xxxxxxxx full-time, where the cost of living is much lower. xx

More official recognition, less of a blame culture and less aggressive intervention into private life - needing to seek managerial permission before needing to do virtually anything outside of work, excessive vetting, social media embargoes etc.

More manageable workloads. No more weekly emails saying this that or the other is missing or out of date. Not having to wait two months for an OHA. 
More facilities time for reps. A less draconian absence management policy.

To be honest nothing would tempt me to move from agency to permanent. I work part time- take a month off Xxxxxx and Xxxxxxx, as well as other shorter bits of leave - have a degree of independence and autonomy - which also allows me to work in different places. I’m mortgage free so have few financial commitments and retire in 2021! For others I would suggest a robust WMT, flexible hours and technology to work from home - parity re conditions - parking - reopening offices - ongoing training!

I forgot about the WMT- not fit for purpose.


I forgot about the no bullying!

Workload, by which I mean LESS assessments. OASys tells us nothing that we do not know in advance. What EXACTLY is SARA for? Why ARMS? Still more pay, lets get back what we lost since 2012. Less counting things, more time with people. If we have to be civil servants how about non contributory pension and retirement at 60?

My thoughts exactly. Don't forget VISOR! Another useless tool we don't need, we don't want!

Yeah, that too.

Oh and RSR! Fill out this form that tells us that serious re-offending is very rare. Well ain't that a surprise!

I’m a temp and no price to go permanent would be enough. X

I have been banging the ViSOR drum for years! Hopefully this will be the end of it once and for all.

Totally agree about SARA. Utterly pointless. 

Fingers crossed but I doubt it as it's about us doing the police's work for them, same as for the ARMS!

I never look at it

I have seen it and the bulk of the info on there is supplied by us anyway! It’s completely unnecessary and even if it was imperative, access should have been granted without vetting. I cannot explain how much upset and concern this caused amongst some of my colleagues.


I don’t look at SARA.

They are ALL pointless. OASYs takes hours. OGRS takes five minutes. Scores are always very close. Do an OGRS. Ask a question covering all the areas in OASYs Use those as the basis of a sentence plan done via the web. SORTED.

It seems to be widely agreed that SARA is useless.

Agree.

Is temping much more money?

Not really when you take in to account no annual leave or sickness pay. However, I prefer the autonomy - the feeling that if I’m unhappy there is a plethora of other jobs in the sector. I also think you have more authority when it comes to flexible working - I do condensed hours with Xxxxxxx’s off. I have done 2 spells permanent and 2 spells temping. I really would not consider permanent work again.

The RSR is not significantly different in what it looks at than what you get from an OGRS. The only time it is ever different is for sex offenders, when it increases the numbers.

My take from Court work. Can we ditch the EPF? Unless the person is out of area, this is a waste of time. If people are from out of area, let us just call it an Accredited Programme and the other area can figure out which, according to what they have. Could we get rid of RAR? Not an effective way of supervising anyone. It can result in someone receiving a minimal service even if their circumstances change and mean they need more support. The considerations when doing a report on someone should focus on *if* they need Probation intervention and what sort would help the most. There is no such thing as a catch-all, one-size-for-all intervention.


SARA? Well, it helps you remember what areas can be relevant to domestic abuse and its causes, but the practitioner is still the one deciding the risk.


What’s EPF?

Effective Proposal Framework, which must be done before doing the proposal on your reports, including before delivering any stand down reports.


Pay according to years experience and holidays to match. I know that’s not fair on permanent staff but it’s what I would push for on an individual basis. Anything less - no thanks. Temping has saved my mental health and enabled me to continue to work as an OM. At the end of the day, I’ve been able to carry on working on the job I love and serve the community.

My mental health is certainly suffering. I’m stressed re workload. Not fit for purpose WMT and how we are all being treated. And made to feel we are to blame for being stressed and not being able to manage that.


Nonsense emphasis on ‘resilience’.


Left for YOT - not sure anything would tempt me back, especially not as YOT matched my NPS salary and to return would put me back on bottom of NPS scale. Had forgotten what being appreciated for work effort was like as not had that for years in probation.


Sounds like you are much happier.

Well if a lot changed maybe you could be swayed.

Odd. As a seconded PO in Xxxxxxxx YOT l was treated with contempt. As were all the staff. So happy to have a way back.

This is second time in YOT as had previous secondment to different YOT. Welcomed and valued by both. Current YOT has just taken on ex-probation officers with others having been seconded to that YOT.


So how about career progression? Training etc. Those who are PSOs would you like to train to be a PO with no loss of pay or maybe a bit on top? How about the creation of Senior Practitioner posts on the same points as SPOs? Management training for POs? Transfer without penalty? If we don’t ask we won’t get.

Some good ideas there, especially the Sr Practitioner posts.


I’m a big supporter of SP roles as we are not all cut out or want to be managers but certainly know our onions. I also think that not developing the PSO role to enable movement is a travesty.

I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than be a manager. But senior practitioner role sounds an excellent idea.

All social workers have senior practitioners posts and when I started as a P.O. the only route in was with a social work qualification.


Yes all of the above! We need more emphasis on progression through OM skills not management. So if u have done a counselling course - that ought to lead somewhere rather than nowhere. I’m not interested in management, I see that as a separate career. Or, make managers carry a caseload to make it more integrated.

It’s so so sad we won’t be able to do a stint in programmes now. I want group work skills! I want skills in rehabilitation. I want to be coached in rehab skills and have people actually interested in how I work in supervision. I know how to risk manage, but the real practise improvement - no one seems to care.

Sorry to rant - but when inspectors look at our cases they care what happens in sessions. Managers don’t really. We all know that that is the point of our work. Practitioners have to scrabble around digging up old worksheets from 20 years ago to actual
ly structure their sessions. We ought to have ready access to these as well as a comprehensive partnerships directory which is updated on a six monthly basis in every office. Also: every new case needs to be brought before a weekly allocation meeting so they can get partnership appointments booked in from the word go. I know this is not strictly speaking about career progression but I’m just putting an idea out.

Trouble is, all of this gets in the way of doing assessments.

I'd say that as far as I’m aware it does in the NPS but in London CRC and TV there is at least, in recent times, a genuine concern about trying to improve quality at the coal face after most staff made clear their dissatisfaction with command and control targets obsessed approaches. I’d have liked the sort of innovation now being rolled out to have happened sooner but contract times have been shortened and reliable systems take time to develop and roll out. However, I really don’t want the good progress in certain areas - particularly in advances in tools and technologies - to be lost as progress has been hard won and involved many dedicated practitioners. Some of the best stuff has just started to gain some traction not least due to a change in senior management direction but also it is evident that the green shoots of what we might want are evident and mostly welcomed and I’m relatively hard to convince. I would like NPS colleagues to benefit from the best of what has been developed and available. There is an opportunity to improve things across the board.

What both NPS and CRC desperately need are well trained staff both PSOs, POs, SPO and hopefully SPs and certainly something suitably creative in respect of PSOs who all need to feel positive about their employers, leaders, and newly motivated to do the job they were trained to do in the way that is best not directed by faceless bureaucrats.

As a PSO I’d have appreciated the opportunity to train as a PO - as did many highly qualified PSOs in my region - but when we were told we’d have to pay for our own ‘top up’ modules none of us had odd 2 grand to spare.


Exactly. Many would do it but not at their own expense.


I’m doing it now at my own expense but gaining the modules via an Xxxxxxx from Xxxxxxx Uni, hence a huge student loan. At least this way I’ll get a Masters at which point I’ll walk out of Probation. I think what was so difficult for us CRC PSOs was the knowledge that NPS PSOs don’t face the same financial penalty. I really must leave this group - I sound like a moaning old git, and I’m not! I’m very peaceful but this second kick in the teeth for programmes has just destroyed my love for this job.

You don’t sound like that. I’m really angry about it.

My CRC has management training, CPD, innovation, opportunity to have input in how the organisation ran, Associate Tutors roles for operational staff who wanted a chance to deliver programmes and brush up on rehabilitation skills and CA's who wanted skills and experience to apply for operations roles, to lead or work on projects ..... I hope these innovations don't get lost in the move and that the new NPS takes forward all of the positives from both current NPS and CRCs. However, Programmes Rule!

Easier application process rather than civil service competencies that bear no resemblance to the actual job!!


So true. Excellent point.

Better pay, free parking and flexible working and I would consider coming back

Better pay, flexible working including working from home at times and free parking, plus team building.


Easier application process.

As PSO with ten plus years experience it’s frustrating that you have to have a degree to firstly apply for PQUiP. It seems that experience and consistent good/outstanding appraisals doesn’t mean much!


Less hours.

Competent and trained management without a bias of who you are mates with. Work progression routes and personal development. Investment in staff.

Generic case loads like there was back in circa 2003-2007 so there's a mixture of different types of cases - makes the job more emotionally/mentally sustainable.

Guaranteed pay increase every year. And the money owed from the pay freeze. Not too much to ask is it?!

Unfortunately the reality of modern day NPS is not conducive to such cosy discussions. Any such suggestions are usually ignored. Civil Service if that is what is coming is not a panacea. It is very much top down command and control. There is little scope for discussion mostly because purse strings are held tightly at the very top.

For a friend of mine who wanted to get into general office admin work (band 2) they laughed at the wages and told me not for that - would rather stay doing retail on 45 hours a week and get 15k more per year.

For me the only thing would be to put wages up by at least 15% (I know it's gotta be a followed process) but I will be honest I have had enough of it. The only reason I'm still here is the pay cheque at the end of the month. And yes I am looking elsewhere. There are lots of issues and not enough solutions.


Essential car user allowance.

A welfare support system that supported people rather than punish them. 
Services that I could refer people into. Quality housing, drug and mental health support that is not so cash strapped that most "Assessments" come down to "how do we deny this poor bastard any help". 

Less, no sorry, NO obsession with public safety. There is a part of the Criminal Justice system which should prioritise the good that a person can do rather than the bad which they have. Where better than the Probation Service.


An obsession with getting alongside people rather than alongside a computer to fill in another assessment. 
Some distance from the Prison Service and the Justice Ministry to allow us space to breath and be the Service we were and can be again.

Some or all of that would mean that I could enjoy my last 10 years in the service, rather than spend every birthday trying to calculate if I can survive THIS year on a reduced pension or do I have to stick it out longer. Not a lot to ask is it?


Less targets and being allowed to get on with the job and doing the work that matters, work with clients.


Being able to work from home is a huge bonus. Flexible working. Having fabulous colleagues and managers.

I am glad that senior managers are finally starting to recognise these issues. They never seemed too bothered about retaining staff, which has had a catastrophic effect. Hopefully they are realising that their methods of control and direction are not working, and that there should be more ‘carrot’ than ‘stick’! For me they need to offer more creative and flexible working options, we have the IT to support that now. They need to look at particular offices or areas that struggle to recruit and retain and consider the issues and how to encourage people to want to work there. A senior practitioner role is an excellent idea, otherwise there are limited career progression opportunities for those not interested in management. Make improvements to OASys/all the assessments that we have to do, to avoid constant duplication of information. The focus should be on working with people, having the time to do meaningful work with them instead of prioritising ‘targets’.

The way it used to be. Working with a smile on your face. Reduced blame culture manageable time frames. Having your own secretary who felt valued and personal to you and colleagues. Parking - enough staff to share the workload - managers who were not guided by performance targets - professional autonomy - and overall respect from employers - but from what I hear that’s going to be a hard one to achieve when it all gets lumped back together. When I heard the news I sort of did a little flip. But as this goes on and I hear the rumblings from the jungle commonly known as the ministry of magic! Well I’m not filled with enthusiasm and glee.


I left in 2016. After the split there seemed to be a move to reduce everything to the 'quickest' or 'most efficient' way of doing things to the point where the value in doing them at all was lost. We used to stand up for ourselves - if a Court asked for a PSR on a DV case with an unrealistic turnaround then (if we knew a thorough risk assessment couldn't be done in that time) we as professionals would say no and we'd be backed up in doing so. I think we need a clear culture of who we are and what we do and we need senior officers to also know that too and who will stick up for the service when needed (I'm still saying we even 3 years after leaving!). I think probation is going to need to prove itself - be clear about its values and what it stands for and what as a profession it offers - before many would go back. That will take time.

Also, having left, you soon realise quite how bad the pay and career progression is in probation. It's a fairly flat structure with not many opportunities. I left as a PO and would need to go back in as well above SPO grade to make it worth my while. It was never about the money, but the jobs you guys do, you deserve more that's for sure.

18 comments:

  1. The Chair of the Justice Committee, Bob Neill MP, has today written to the Secretary of State, David Gauke, criticising the Government’s lack of a plan for dealing with the prisons crisis and seeking more detail about its strategy.

    In April, the Committee’s major report found that the Government’s approach to prisons was inefficient, ineffective and unsustainable in the medium or long-term.

    In order to address this, the Committee set out why there should be a presumption against sentences of six months or less and argued that the Ministry of Justice needs to focus on ensuring safety and decency in prisons is maintained, as well as improving rehabilitation of offenders when they leave prison.

    The Government’s response to that report, published on 11 June, agreed with many of the issues raised but offered little in terms of action to deal with the multiple issues that prisons are currently facing.

    In the letter to the Secretary of State, Chair Bob Neill expresses frustration at the lack of a plan and presses the Justice Secretary for answers to a number of questions relating to the Government’s response to the report.

    These cover the prison estate, the high turnover of prison staff, rehabilitative programmes, resourcing of the Sentencing Council and a number of other areas.

    Chair's comments
    Chair of the Justice Committee, Bob Neill MP, said:

    “From overcrowded, squalid and poorly maintained prisons to inadequate opportunities for rehabilitation, the Government’s crisis management approach to jails has been failing for more than five years.

    Throwing money at such significant problems on an ad hoc basis is both unsustainable and a waste of taxpayers’ money.

    Our report set out the need for a clear strategy and demonstrated how proper planned investment would reduce reoffending, save money and start to alleviate pressures on jails. So far we have not seen that from Government. It’s response to our report contained a rehash of current initiatives that we already knew about.

    Without a strategy, we do not believe that the serious challenges can be addressed.

    That’s why my letter to David Gauke presses this matter once again and I hope this time he is able to reassure us with greater detail and clarity.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our CRC doesn't worry about staff numbers, they lower the case weighting and then double the pso caseload. I bet even we go back to NPS psos wont be on 100 caseloads

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fellow PSO/CM @ 1615 I feel your pain as I do work within a CRC however after everything I've read and all that's been posted on this blog I don't share your confidence that as CM's / PSO's our grade is going to be taken back into the busom of NPS - I fear that these new Innovation Companies ( CRC's ) will just need to be staffed with CM's and like first time round in TR didn't get any option ( not that anyone really did given how they did their selections ) but to be shafted and to remain with the shit we currently have ( oh sorry my bad " strong leaders " Lol ) to be able to complete all the Interventions NPS require - I didn't trust them first time round and they're not saying anything that would make me trust them this second time - absolutely no lessons learnt regardless of all the reports that have been completed by the JSC, NAO to name but a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears that SARA, ARMS and Oasys only come into their own when there is an SFO and they use these documents to try and establish a link between the act and the fact that you haven't done it/ completed it as if by completing it it would make one scrap of difference

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some POs only will be transferred to sit along side NPS POs and PSOs as a tick box enforcement CM, must agree that the majority of staff in the CRC's will remain in the new CRIC's (Community Rehabilitation Innovation Companies) so same shit, different day. CS will be a disaster just gangs rented out like mercanaries to the highest bidder. If you think TR1, was bad....

    ReplyDelete
  6. 12.26 I agree there is no one we can trust. No our strong management team, not the politicians, not the government , not the unions and not former colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apologies if anyone has already flagged this up - I've been away & can't be arsed to trawl through the last few weeks' blogs. Its from most recent Private Eye:

    "No wonder the Probation Service privatised by Grayling continues to flounder... [HMPPS's] 'Draft Operating Blueprint', published last week, had this to say...:

    *A Regional Co-Ordination Function is predicated on the Dynamic Framework and the regional oversight of multiple contracts delivered on a regional and sub-regional footprint. Working in an Intelligent Customer capacity it will actively co-ordinate supply and demand to ensure the Responsible Officer can have access to the right services at the right time*. "

    See for yourself: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/810334/The_Proposed_Future_Model_for_Probation_-_A_Draft_Operating_Blueprint_-_HMPPS_-_19-06-2019.pdf

    And you want to work for them???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone still thought that the privatisation bollox had ended, the document ends with:

      "This Operating Blueprint will form the basis of a more detailed Target Operating Model that will be developed as we continue to engage with the market in the development of the solutions and commercial models over the summer and early autumn, prior to the launch of competitions"

      You've all done very well!!!!

      Delete
    2. Weird nobody ever thought of this before...

      "Summary

      To ensure we have a probation system which commands confidence, supervises offenders effectively and protects the public, and gives offenders the support they need to lead law-abiding lives, we are developing a new performance framework across both the NPS and contracted providers to support three key objectives:

      (i)Focus on Quality – rebalancing the focus from processes to quality delivery by introducing new quality measures and strengthening provider quality assurance.

      (ii)Incentivising outcomes likely to reduce offending – by capturing improvements related to offending over which providers have an element of control and for which there is evidence of a link with reduced reoffending.

      (iii)Getting the Basics Right – by holding the NPS and contracted providers to account on sentence delivery and protecting the public and, therefore, promoting sentencer confidence in probation delivery."


      These fuckers get paid £millions by the taxpaying public to write this shite week after week, month after month, year after year - but no-one is EVER held to account for failing to deliver.

      Delete
    3. "Apologies if anyone has already flagged this up - I've been away & can't be arsed to trawl through the last few weeks' blogs."

      A very honest and perfectly understandable sentiment - I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion there's not much point in trying to resist these new plans as there's simply no interest or desire in fighting them.

      Delete
    4. 08:47 here, JB. I tend to agree. My lack of desire to trawl through past blogs is primarily informed by the frustrating lack-lustre acceptance by many of 'the system' constantly re-inventing itself; not by your efforts to highlight the futility & stupidity of this 'pomp-will-eat-itself' circus of self-important, pointless, revisionist, grandiose bullshit.

      I applaud your stamina thus far & hope you will continue to rub their noses in it, even if they can't or won't admit it stinks.

      Delete
    5. No matter if I'm sad or down
      I'll still be diggin' on Jim Brown!

      Delete
  8. YOU REALLY WANT TO WORK FOR THEM?

    "The current contract for probation services requires the provider to supply a ‘suitably competent and trained workforce’ without specifying further detail of what this means in practice. This has led to inconsistent standards of training taking place across providers and it impacts on the quality of the service delivered.

    In future we will require that all staff acting as Responsible Officers have a mandatory probation qualification. This will be at level-three for staff working as a Probation Service Officer and at level-five for staff working as a Probation Officer. In collaboration with CRCs we are also developing these qualifications into apprenticeships and planning how we can transition staff onto these new requirements.

    We will also require providers of the delivery of interventions to have adequately trained staff for the roles that they will be performing and a professional development offer to support their workforces.

    Within the NPS we will need to ensure suitable training is available to support transition. This will include a training package rolled out and available for both NPS and CRC staff as we transition to a blended caseload to ensure that all staff are prepared for dealing with a mixed caseload. We will also need to ensure that CRC staff moving into the NPS are fully inducted and supported into the NPS and the civil service."

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Blueprint For a New Wheel or Rewriting History, a Revisionist Approach

    "The new Resettlement model has been designed with OMiC in mind. OMiC will play a vital role in making our adult prisons safer for those on remand and serving sentences in prison and for staff working in prison, by providing a supportive and enabling environment. In 2017HMPPS received £100m for the implementation of the new model which includes 2,500 additional prison officers, as well as additional NPS staff, to ensure there are sufficient resources in the prisons to engage with individuals to help them use their time in prison constructively and support them to access the necessary services in prison."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo, new structures! 11 proposed regions with six (6) new senior roles in each region, so 55 highly paid jobs are up for grabs: Regional Probation Director, Head of Operations, Head of Performance & Quality, Head of Corporate Services, Head of Community Integration, Contract Management & Commissioning... plus a couple more roles specially created for London & Greater Manchester.

    This is IN ADDITION TO the existing CRC structures, who will remain but simply transition into Innovation Partners, Approved Providers, etc.

    More jobs, then. Excellent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today's Guardian.

    https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/30/chris-grayling-probation-privatisation-disaster?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2F2019%2Fjun%2F30%2Fchris-grayling-probation-privatisation-disaster

    'Getafix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The extent of Chris Grayling’s botched privatisation of the probation service is exposed by research which brands it an “unmitigated disaster” that left the public at greater risk from ex-offenders released from jail.

      Probation officers say bigger caseloads and unrealistic targets, ushered in when Grayling was the justice secretary, have meant that they are unable to keep to the same standards as before. More than a third – 36% – of those interviewed as part of the research admit that they regularly cut corners and compromise professional standards to meet targets.

      “The privatisation of probation is unprecedented in terms of its scale and scope and it has proven to be something of an unmitigated disaster for professionals,” write Professor Gill Kirton, of Queen Mary University of London, and Dr Cécile Guillaume, of Roehampton University, in the journal Work, Employment and Society, published by the British Sociological Association.

      The pair looked at the effects of the government’s privatisation of about half of the probation service in 2015, in which lower-risk offenders were monitored by 21 private companies and the rest left to public sector organisations.

      They surveyed almost 1,000 probation officers, and carried out face-to-face research with 100. More than a third said they did not have enough time for their clients. More than half said their targets were unrealistic.

      In a typical comment, one probation officer told researchers: “I truly believe that offenders will receive a poorer service and staff will struggle to provide the high level of service they have always given. Consequently, the public will be at risk.”

      Another said: “I do not consider that we are in a position to protect the public, but we will be the scapegoats when tragedies happen.”

      In their report Kirton and Guillaume said the privatisation had been carried out in the face of “massive opposition from criminal justice experts, senior probation leaders, the unions representing probation workers, and the workers themselves” and with “no meaningful consultation”.

      It had created “conveyor belt” conditions in the privatised part of the service that meant officers were having to “compromise what they regarded as professional standards”.

      Delete
  12. "A probation service in the North East of England has been commended for its strong leadership and the innovative way it supports individuals to move away from further offending... HM Inspectorate of Probation conducted a routine inspection of the North East Division of the NPS... Chief Inspector of Probation Justin Russell said: “Leaders in the North East Division of the NPS have a clear vision and strategy to deliver a quality service, and this has been communicated well to staff and key stakeholders."

    However...

    "... the Division is not always able to achieve this ambition because... There is a lack of qualified probation officers across England and Wales, and inspectors found... Restrictions to local recruitment have further hampered efforts to place newly qualified officers in the offices where they are most needed... The Division needs to take a more robust approach to risk management in order to keep potential and actual victims safe. In a third of inspected cases, the risk assessments did not contain enough information about who might be at risk of harm from the individual under supervision and the exact nature of that risk. For example, some assessments overlooked victims of previous offences.”


    Please, Please, PLEASE can someone tell me how & why HMIP continue to praise "strong leadership" when they then clearly & explicitly identify that 30% or more of the work is shit, that people are left at risk & that there aren't enough staff to do the work because of local recruitment policies. HOW THE FUCK IS that commensurate with the alleged 'STRONG LEADERSHIP'?

    Its Trumpism gone viral. It seems to be a contractual obligation that HMIP praise probation leaders, irrespective of the actualite. Maybe its the quality of the lunches? The comfy-ness of the hotel rooms? The quantity of management speak that short-circuits the inspectors' objectivity? Or simply the cosy, rosy feelings brought on by familiar faces?

    ReplyDelete