Sunday 2 June 2019

You Are Not Alone

Whilst sat listening to the MoJ presentation the other day and feeling very uncomfortable with a strong sense of deja vu, I had the following recent contributions very much in mind:-

I salute every single person who looked around and walked away and found meaningful jobs else where. We sit with clients day after day listening and motivating them to change. Sometimes their whole lifestyle or move areas to get back their self esteem. Practise what you preach and leave. I sat in a clients home last week with a whole family in despair of a family situation and we went through how things could change for the better and ways in which we could meet them. Do what you do with clients and make radical changes to your life if your well being and family life are suffering. No one else is going to look after you. As management say, we are replaceable and only a name and number.

*****
Sorry to jump on back of your blog Jim but I’ve been an avid reader since before privatisation. I’m tentatively trying to reach out to people who left the service through ill health brought on by privatisation or were sacked on trumped up charges but the reality was their resistance to privatisation. Sorry for posting anonymously but health still very fragile. just need to know I’m not alone.

*****
No, you are definitely not alone. I'm aware of several who were affected & ejected by the Sodexo clearances in 2015, either through stress-related illness or simply because their outspoken resistance to & criticism of the TR model led them to be placed 'on notice'.

My own 'notice' came from the CEO in person during an impromptu one-on-one in a quiet corner of the office: "I'll be straight with you. You'd better take the severance package because there won't be any further opportunity to leave with something in your pocket. If you're still here after August I can guarantee you'll be leaving via disciplinary or capability. We don't want you."

That came a year after the Trust CEO wrote to all staff saying that if they challenged the 'shafting' decision he would regard it as an individuals stated intention to resign from the Trust. And the Unions' response? To sign off on the world's worst Staff Transfer Agreement.

*****
That's not all fair. Many able union activists have managed some incredible working protections and still are. Also everyone had recourse to law. Threatened staff who do as told only empower the bully. The staff transfer is as good as it gets but understand it before you criticise in error. As for the current position no CRC can attack any staff now as they will all have employed skills that will be transferable and everyone who want to return will have some rights for assessment after we are still subject to golden share government employees. It remains a fight for many.

*****
You miss the point, i.e. that was *their* experience, and a shitty one at that. I doubt the "incredible working protections" you celebrate were evident in [their] workplace, certainly not when the CEO was so explicitly ruthless. It is an unkindness to dismiss others' experiences so casually because your own experience was different.

The Staff Transfer was most certainly *not* "as good as it gets" - no TUPE, an EVR arrangement that was worthless for most, staff stripped of Ts&Cs, a 7 month moratorium on redundancy which opened the door to corporate skulduggery...

And the "golden share" only applies to the Sec of State holding a veto over CRC ownership or significant financial decisions. There's no 'golden' aspect for CRC staff. They were transferred to CRC employment. No CRC, no employment. There's no right of return to NPS. I agree with you that the fight remains for many.

*****
I accept your points thanks but no fighting back you get stuffed over. Any CPO who would have said such a thing to me formal harassment and bullying policy no hesitation. Full on fight no question no compromise. If you don't fight your accepting and of course I feel for others situation.


*****
Here replying - I'm grateful for their comments & for rowing back to some degree from their earlier position. Yes, fighting back is important, but one needs evidence. When the Trust CEO sent the letter there was hard evidence, but the unions (both Napo & Unison) did nothing, despite complaints made. That fight was stopped by their inaction. As for the CRC CEO's comments to me, they were made privately. I could never prove it happened. What chance they would ever admit they said it?

I fought a few battles as a PO of many years' standing. I remained employed for 20+ years &, I believe, delivered a pretty damn good service to the cases I worked with - as well as to union members in my role as a local rep for a couple of years, when I both received & dealt out a few blows in some tough scraps.

The TR debacle simply gave the green light to the bigoted bullies at HQs around the country, which is why sifting became shafting as those management didn't like were 'punished'. Everyone has seen the subsequent, innumerable examples of CRCs & NPS shitting on staff from a great height. It's really hard but sometimes you have to know when to walk. It wounded me & scarred me, but I can admit to having been gainfully employed in a covert role trying to undo TR.

I am still very angry - with Grayling & company, with the Trusts who rolled with it, with the managers who exploited it, with the corporate thieves who have stolen £millions, & with the unions, who were outplayed & out-manoeuvred - in fact just hopelessly out of their league. I hope they've been practising some new strategies because it will be an even tougher season coming their way...

*****
I myself was subjected to years of bullying from my line manager. The love of my job kept me in place. Times I would come home and cry on the end of the bed. I was happy at the time that I went to CRC only because my line manager would not follow me. My time in CRC had been up and down work load. But I still love my job. Hoping that I can carry on in NPS. I am a strong person but I know tough times are ahead. But if I do not meet NPS requirements then what will be will be. Everyone keep strong and have faith and look out for your work mates.

*****
I have been with NPS and now CRC for 23 years in total. I remember too well the stress caused to myself and others. Those who left. Those who had to take any job in CRC to stay employed. I cannot believe we are all at the same stage again. But this time I am looking after me. I will not allow them to stress me out again. Everyone look out for all. Everyone is needing support at this disgusting mess that we are in. Thrown to the wolves.

3 comments:

  1. Sad to say the MoJ, HMPPS, NPS & CRCs do NOT have those contributors' views in mind - nor the views of anyone who criticised, denounced or otherwise doubted the concept of TR, TR2, or TR ad infinitum.

    Thanks for keeping the reality of TR to the fore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are few left in CRC and NPS who are fearless and not frightened to argue back and defy their masters. There are also those who will not, and plough on regardless of health,family, well-being and being frightened of saying no.
    This mess can no longer continue. I for one, are sick of the crap put on staff by the masters and their puppets of these 2 companies. Last week an Officer who works 27 hours per week was holding 85 cases. As we spoke 3 more were allocated in the space of a morning and literally sent the Officer into meltdown.
    I hope this Officer brings a complaint to every muppet in the chain of command who thinks its OK to treat staff in this reckless way.
    How can there be an Officer/Client relationship when you are squeezing every ounce of good will out of staff and heaping more on them.
    I hope this Officer tells the chain of hierarchy where to stick their allocations and get out.
    This is such dangerous practise you should all be ashamed of yourselves!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well put . Duty of care to staff doesn’t come into it. Same for supervisors in unpaid work high group numbers without a care for staff. Only reason it’s not failing more is the people who are over loaded with cases refuse to go on sick and take easy option because they still care and the big two know this . Shameful

      Delete