Sunday 10 March 2024

Fancy Being a Probation Officer? 2

It's been a long time since I felt able to put together a compendium of contributions, but just recently I've detected a fresh tide of anger and despair and it's coinciding with a dramatic fall in recruitment and retention. We all know probation is utterly broken and needs fixing and the time is right to say it loudly and repeatedly:-

A friend’s son asked me about joining. He is in his 30s with plenty of life experience and a positive happy go lucky mindset. 20 years ago I’d have been very happy to help him join and felt good about it. Instead I warned him off telling him to steer clear and trust me on it. The reason I did so is because he is a good lad and I know his mum. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for upsetting her and messing up his life.

*****
Funnily enough, I had a conversation with an offender in a prison this morning who rang for an update on when his parole is likely to be. The conversation went on to other relevant topics and he said he was concerned that he would be allocated another officer in the community if he is released. I agreed that due to other circumstances at play, he most likely would. I agreed that this was not optimal but this is where we are and the times were are in. Gone are the days when we had a lifer from start to release and then in the community. He said he did not want to rehash all his life all over again with someone new and I completely understood that too and in fact sympathised with it. More tellingly, and this is where today's post resonates, he said he did not want an offender manager who did not have life experience. He did not want someone 'young' who has not lived life. He was in his forties and wanted someone who would understand life and some of the issues which affect us all. Unfortunately,

'...You should hear some of the newly qualified officers berating those who have been in the job for decades when they know nothing about life let alone probation work...'

refers and I absolutely know that he will not get what he wants because in the office I am in, it does not exist although it is very badly needed and they know it. All gone. Those of us who are experienced are regrettably, a dying breed. I stay because now an old cove, I always considered it a vocation and that is very difficult to walk away from for me anyway.

*****
Part of the issue with retention for trainees is the job description. ‘Want to make a difference’, ‘rehabilitation’ and all the other buzz words and catchy phrases. If job descriptions were accurate and stated that the job was 90-95% admin and that ‘POPs’ actually get in the way of endless form filling, irrelevant emails, endless NSI’s for everything and ridiculously long repetitive and convoluted Oasys assessments, then at least people would enter the role with realistic expectations.

******
Completely agree. The adds should read ‘Want to fill out long forms and spend hours in front of your computer imagining you are making a difference? Want to be responsible for high risk cases but not have time to work with them? Want to be part of an organisation that doesn’t care about you, those you work with or your local community? If the answer to these questions is ‘Yes’ then you could be the ideal candidate to join the probation service. Under 25, fresh out of uni, naive, not too bright (it helps not to be) No problem.

*****
It's almost encouraging that HMPPS continue to peddle the "buzz words and catchy phrases". Like a fading recognition that a) that is what identifies probation b) what attracts people to it. Trouble is, what should be a philosophy and culture is just buzz words and catchy phrases. If HMPS really meant it, there would be a big top down strategy to cement a culture of rehabilitation and all that entails. You can't run a cruel, punitive enforcement agency with cruelty and punishment seeping through every HR and practice policy, and the everyday language of the organisation, and just pin a pious message onto the letterhead. If they really mean it, they must follow it up with a root and branch cultural refreshment. And clean separation of Probation from the prison system.

I had a first weekend of retirement moment on Sunday: I felt rising anxiety, then realised that I didn't have to go in and open up the emails the next day. That is true of everybody who ever retired: However, what struck me was that my anxiety was "What have they done?", not "How are they doing?". That is the shift in culture that we have undergone. 

I recall a decade ago having literally sleepless nights because my lad was coming out of prison and had no accommodation lined up. The idea that a human being for whom I had some responsibility could be in that awful situation filled me with horror. If I couldn't get that sorted, then WTF was I for? Scroll forwards ten years, and without missing a beat, I routinely saw people in the same position, signposted them to a local agency that would- or might- give them a tent, and got back to the keyboard. Where I would, of course, complete an assessment of their risk as raised due to their homelessness, and an evaluation of how that, they, might be managed.

PS "My lad" was doing fine last time I looked. Back then I and a colleague with an awesome little notebook of local contacts, found him a roof for over his head, it wasn't brilliant but we got him there and then on and out to better. The colleague has like me left, couldn't bear it anymore. And with him his awesome little notebook. Shame. Shame! Pearly

*****
I couldn’t think of anything worse than being a probation officer these days, undervalued, poor training, lack of diversity in workforce, punitive agenda, join the police, earn more, retire earlier.

*****
Joining the police is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Many professions such as teaching, social work, nursing and probation are undervalued. A brief examination of news articles will show that there is relatively little positive coverage reflecting the skills and knowledge of practitioners. The impression is that anyone, even someone fresh out of university, can do these jobs. 

There is plenty of negative coverage regarding those who are considered to have fallen below the standards required. Being sacked is not good enough as they must be sacked and thrown under a bus by their senior leaders. It’s a mixed bag but one thing that unites these professions is that they are mostly feminised. It is probably true that those men who would have joined the probation service in the 80s would not now consider joining unless they really want to embrace working in a female dominated environment where they will only progress if they are willing to ditch their masculinity. 

Feminised professions generally suffer low wage increases, tend to be less actively unionised, and in some cases are not considered to be proper professions especially by right wing governments but rather as 'do-gooder' vocations where earning money and professional status are secondary to satisfaction gained from caring and helping. This is perpetuated in the media. When the public perception bubble is bust, then it is like open season with teachers and young doctors/nurses being portrayed as greedy selfish or lazy and out to harm kids, old people etc but at the same time providing a vital service we all want.

*****
“There is a big problem group of millennials who think older more experienced officers are toddlers who should retire asap.” No, no, no! Most of the older more experienced probation officers I come across should retire asap. They are the rudest and most unhelpful set of people. I am tired that this set of POs, PSOs, staff think harping on about their 20 years experience entitles them to think they own the probation office and can be rude and offensive to everyone else. Worse are the ones older than that who think administrators are servants and can’t do anything unless the admin does it for them. Once upon a time we had decent experienced staff, but now we’re left with the chaff. Out with the old and in with the new.

******
Correct. It is the recruitment of young and inexperienced staff that is the problem. Perhaps bring in a mandatory life/work experience test and 6 months voluntary in the local food bank or similar. Probation should never be a first job for someone fresh out of university. It’s double punishment for the punters. We used to weed these people out in the assessment centres as having insufficient life skills, but then we were instructed to take anyone with a pulse.

*****
Completely agree with the comments about the wrong type of people being employed. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple in my team with potential but we've also had to have the counter corruption team in as there is now a culture developing of cocaine usage - open secret on nights out with all the younger lot.

*****
This isn’t about age, but we definitely need to address the gender and ethnicity balance and lack of life experience for some of the new recruits though. Mainly due to the complexity of issues our clients bring to their supervision. Never have I experienced such difficulty in engagement of the people we work with. IMO this is because we are not spending time with them, building a relationship and doing the work we should be. We are administering a sentence now, not delivering rehabilitation. Whilst we allow HMPPS to erode the skills we have, the vocation of probation practice and our value base- we will end up as a service offering nothing other than community enforcers.

*****
I think it is too late. I battled on for years before eventually calling it a day as it was impacting on my health. I got disciplined 6 months before I left after a 30 year spotless record. The reason was that I failed to keep records to the required standard. I used to spend time with my clients. I remember my practice teacher saying to me ‘people not paper’ I did not use the prescribed format for contacts and refused to change on the basis that it made no sense. I was directed to look at a good example. This was someone I knew spent on average 10 mins seeing her clients but nevertheless produced long detailed contacts that were grammatically perfect - had a degree in English. I read them all on all her cases and spookily they were all very similar. I am sure one of those plagiarism detectors would have something interesting to say. Not one of my bullet point working notes type entries was the same and accurately reflected the ongoing work. But I am the one in trouble even though I rarely breach and all mine used to show up. It didn’t seem right so I quit. Since quitting I volunteer and litter pick and help out at the local community centre helping refugees. I recently retrained as a counsellor. I feel like I am doing something useful unlike the last 6 months of working in probation when I just felt like an outcast. Quit now and do something useful with your life.

*****
They just need tick boxing robots these days. I go in for the money. It is miserable. Really negative workplace. If a warehouse job paid better I’d do that. I feel less loyalty to the organisation every day. No one gives a crap anymore. Mind you it’s the same everywhere. Crap government, NHS has gone downhill, rubbish everywhere, levelling up runs downhill to the south. Got a Union email the other day saying HMPPS HQ sent a sick note to the meeting they were supposed to attend. Back in the day employers met with unions at a big meeting called NNC. If the employers wanted to negotiate they were there mob handed. This lot don’t even turn up. They should try a couple of weeks on the frontline then they’d know what feeling sick feels like. Making out they are irreplaceable.

*****
At our Birmingham office there are good young officers but also the immature lazy ones. Had to endure a whole morning of chat between 2 about Crocs and what to get for KFC. Discussions with POPs on loudspeaker. The officers should be sitting with their own teams but hide in the attic space saved for hot desking as they know they can get away from doing hardly any work. It isn't an age thing just the type of person who has no desire to put in the work with a bad attitude. Management are fully aware but only care about weekly quizzes and everything on the diversity calendar

*****
Yes and this appears to be the notorious office in Birmingham that hit the blog a few months ago. How long do they let this PDU head continue to manage before action is taken, or he is made accountable for decisions made within his PDU. It is shocking to know that this is happening in one office and in the another office within the same PDU has overworked staff who manage unworkable caseloads. My understanding is that he has allowed one office to function in green prioritisation framework by resourcing it and left the other office in amber with WMT for officers at up to 180% ! How is it possible to have 2 offices in a PDU working 2 prioritisation frameworks ? Why is a head allowed to treat people in this way ?

******
I'm not surprised that Probation recruitment has fallen off a cliff edge. Many of the younger potential Probation Officers are very media savvy and well versed with social media which gives numerous accounts of the toxicity of Probation. They are forewarned about the blame culture and grinding workloads and probably (and sensibly) choose to look for work elsewhere.

*****
I trained at a time when you were expected to have significant life and work experience prior to training. We had to cut our teeth on roles such as residential child care or youth work etc, It helped to sort the wheat from the chaff. You knew what you were getting into and whether you had the resilience and understanding to do the job. That's all changed now and with it retention will plummet. Also the job was nowhere near as stressful back when I started. Yes, it was very challenging, always has been but you felt supported and there was not the idiotic bureaucracy there is now. I didn't go to work daily worrying about an SFO, who has stabbed who or died from drugs overdose, the lack of support for service users with such complex mental health issues. I would not recommend this job to anyone, not to my children or anyone else I know. How could I do that whilst I know the level of angst and the mental health issues this job has brought to me. Anxiety and PTSD symptoms to name a few. 

I would advise people to steer clear and avoid being an AI 'screw on wheels', forced to bang up people with MH issues and complex personality disorders, no autonomy, just part of a broken system, then hauled over hot coals when something out of your control happens. Too much responsibility too much stress and compromised beliefs and not enough respect or rewards. Can't even tell friends or public what you do, they have no understanding or could react negatively if they do and you get no social recognition such as a Doctor, nurse, teacher would get despite the important job we have trying to keep the public safe. This is something we rarely acknowledge in my opinion but it's important. This leaves you feeling undervalued and invisible and saps your self esteem. You feel like a persona non grata, if that's the correct Latin as I can't be bothered to check!

*****
Are we not all in this together (pqip, nqo, PO with 20 years experience)? Surely we should be, do we not want the same things, did we not join the service for broadly the same things? Why are so many of you criticising the young people or criticising the experienced practitioners. Working at probation is pretty dire at the moment and fighting each other and turning against colleagues doesn't help. I'm an NQO with the utmost respect for experienced colleagues and I have found every single one of my team exceptionally helpful. I'm sorry others haven't but can we not support each other through this s@@t show and try get through together?

*****
The job is simply unmanageable now. They are expecting us to be all things to everyone when the reality is we have crumbling public services and no resources. I am fed up of being expected to do everyone else’s job including my own .. “oh it’s only a small form” “we’ve streamlined the process” no, all you’ve done is add another admin task to my day. I am not a housing officer nor a police officer! The pay is piss poor and the only good part of the job is working with the PoPs who teach me far more about life than the toothless managers that spend their time wasting mine.

38 comments:

  1. There are many young people and young women who have life experiences. When I joined probation I had been in detention centres, in gangs. I failed at school and had been on the streets for a long time. I knew what it was like to have nothing and to fend for myself. I work many dead end jobs, put myself through university and later joined probation.

    The difference back then was the variety of life experiences and personalities when I joined. This included younger and older people who did and did not have a clue. Length of service rarely equated to mean good probation officer. Burnout was a thing back then too. Sometimes the longer serving the probation officer the more they were best avoided. The exception were the ones that went above and beyond for everyone. The ones we all learned from.

    Probation offices could be just as toxic and discriminating as when I joined, but everywhere I worked we were a team. Over the years the pressure of the lack of staffing and resources has stripped away staff resilience and comraderie. Trainees are expected to learn from managers who never properly learnt to be probation officers and from ‘elders’ who are too fed up or busy to be probation officers. This won’t change until probation offices cease being run on shoestring budgets with skeleton staff.

    Probation must reset and decide what a probation officer should be. Put the relevant degree or social work training back in place, require prior relevant work experience and work out how to bring in the young, old, life experienced and life inexperienced alike. Until then, my advice to those thinking about probation is that it’s a job, but there are better paid and more rewarding careers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “the only good part of the job is working with the PoPs who teach me far more about life”

    …. Now that’s a concern !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to compare and contrast the comments in today's post with comments and concerns being raised in the House of Lords in 1982.
    Professional standards, caliber of the probation officer, life experience, retention and renumeration etc.
    Hansard 1982.

    https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1982/dec/13/probation-officers-pay

    'Getafix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed 'Getafix - well worth a read to remind ourselves in what high esteem the profession was held and before it become a political football.

      Delete
    2. In some areas you were expected to have done at least 3 years in two different settings such as prison or court as everyone started off in a field office and to have volunteered to help out with court cover or group work. You then had to be approved to apply by asking your manager and the ACO. Anything less and you weren’t considered experienced enough. These days I have heard of many examples of people with less than three years experience who were straight out of university getting an SPO role and lording it over others with 15 years plus experience. Mind you the role is now dumbed down so much they really shouldn’t be called senior to anyone. It’s an admin role.

      Delete
  4. I trained new officers for ten years or more and it was always a two way exchange of ideas. Then one morning my SPO sent me a message saying that they were no longer going down the mentor route , and I was no longer to do it, by lunchtime I had two new cases…..the osmosis style of learning is now king….i would suggest that the attrition rate has increased accordingly as new officers don’t have a named mentor,least not in my corner of the probation universe……..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve recently seen PQIPS teaching and consoling qualified POs. When you see trainees and new staff telling experienced staff how to manage released prisoners arriving unplanned you have to stand back and think how did we get here!

      Delete
  5. They need to bring back at least 2 years (preferably 3 years) experience before a PO is eligible to apply for SPO. In the West Mids we now have an SPO who is very inexperienced in one of our biggest prisons and he is sadly arrogant with it because he got SPO within about 6 months of qualifying. He considers himself to have “surpassed” (his words on a staff event when he was telling others how to “succeed” to management) far more experienced colleagues. Inexperience + arrogance is a very dangerous mix and is contributing to a less professional Probation Service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is he on an accelerated programme or under represented group they all get hooked up the ladder and are useless bullies.

      Delete
    2. I’m a manager and even I’d say 6 months post qualification is a joke. That’s ridiculous if that is true as you should not be allowed to become an SPO in your NQO period. ACO next by Christmas 2024.

      Delete
    3. Look around. It’s not just SPOs. There are many QDOs, PTAs, Deputies PDU Heads with little experience or common sense. It’s well known many take these jobs to escape frontline work.

      Delete
    4. Over 30 years in and in all this time there has always been nepotism and chosen ones. Competitive interviews are just for show and bash out competition. It's always been a self protected rat shit route for the corrupted. Some very unscrupulous management always do what they like.

      Delete
    5. Does it matter really nowadays it's just a process so anyone can manage that.

      Delete
  6. It should be mandatory for all POs to complete a full twelve months after qualifying in a community field team managing cases before being considered for any specialist role whether prison, court etc. It should be an essential requirement ( not simply “desirable”) for anyone applying for an SPO role to have done community PO case manager plus twelve months in a specialist role. You cannot be a competent manager without such experience - we are seeing this to our costs at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I don't think so all that does is say you can or can't to some extent do that work. Managing are a whole different skills set and professional managers have different tasks. The problem with probation officers is you think it's about what your doing not how your supposed to do work for your pay.

      Delete
    2. 13:17 I disagree with you as that would give a firm understanding of the probation role then when developing “ a whole different skill set” as you put it, ie becoming a manager, there is at least a foundation to build upon.
      Newly retired SPO

      Delete
    3. 13:17 As long as you are working in the way you are told to, you can expect to get paid and it doesn't matter what chaos or damage that way of working brings?

      Delete
    4. There is no firm understandings as the job is just admin procedure. You have to widden understanding the managerial role does not require any understanding or sympathy to employees duties. Managing is about getting the most for the least effort. Not appreciating how hard things might be.

      Delete
  7. The whole justice system is crumbling because there's been so many justice ministers appointed that have little or no experience.
    There's been a few that have a legal background, but that doesn't qualify them for a universal or comprehensive understanding of the whole system.
    There's a lot of noise coming from the MoJ today about prison capacity and concern there will be no places at all by the end of THIS month. There's pressure being applied to Rishi Ratshit to rush through a bill for a presumption of no custodial sentences under 12mths.
    If you want to drive a car, you've got to do the lessons and pass your test, otherwise you're likely to crash!

    https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13181103/amp/Britains-prisons-run-space-Easter-unless-Rishi-Sunak-speeds-bill-scrap-short-sentences-Justice-Secretary-warns.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17101522103710&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-13181103%2FBritains-prisons-run-space-Easter-unless-Rishi-Sunak-speeds-bill-scrap-short-sentences-Justice-Secretary-warns.html

    'Getafix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aswell as the new early release scheme aimed at reducing the prison population, the government have very quietly brought changes to the rules governing who can now be eligible for HDC.
      I'm guessing, but I feel they're looking at releasing a lot more prisoners on HDC aswell as those being released 35 days early.
      Maybe probation will be getting twice as many on supervision as they're anticipating?

      https://insidetime.org/newsround/second-chance-for-prisoners-recalled-on-home-detention-curfew/

      'Getafix

      Delete
    2. Pressure grows to ease the prison population tonight and the early release scheme is extended from 35 days to 60 days.

      https://news.sky.com/story/scheme-to-free-offenders-early-expanded-due-to-lack-of-space-in-prisons-13092918

      Ironically, government statistics reveal that 80% of those imprisoned for shoplifting reoffend within 12mts, so the people most likely to be released early are those that are most likely to go back the quickest!
      I'm sure it makes perfect sense to someone.

      'Getafix

      Delete
    3. A scheme to release offenders early has been massively expanded because of a lack of space in prisons, the government has announced.

      It means prisoners serving sentences of less than four years can be let out of prison two months early.

      The End of Custody Supervised Licence scheme was launched in October and originally allowed prisoners to be released up to 18 days before the end of their sentence to reduce an "acute and exceptional demand" on prison places.

      That time period has now been extended, so that prisoners can be released between 35 and 60 days before the end of their sentence.

      Sex offenders, terrorists and category A prisoners, plus those serving four years or more, are excluded from the scheme. It marks a move that has taken many in the probation service by surprise.

      "We were never informed this scheme would be extended to up to 60 days. The additional work this will generate will simply overwhelm our members who are already battling with dangerously high workloads," said Ian Lawrence, the general secretary of NAPO (National Association of Probation Officers).

      Sources close to the prison service have expressed concern about the extent to which the scheme is being amended, at pace, and with little to no warning.

      They say they have fears such extensions make releases unsafe - in some cases meaning prisoners are released without permanent accommodation, as housing places are meticulously planned with little margin to amend at short notice.

      Without a home, some offenders cannot be fitted with the appropriate location monitoring tags.

      The government insists this is a temporary measure to relieve capacity in prisons, but last month Sky News disclosed leaked documents which reveal intentions for it to last for an "undefined" period. It was "updated" and "revised" to apply in new prisons, building on the 21 where the scheme was initially launched.

      In the written ministerial statement published late on Monday, Justice Secretary Alex Chalk said the measure was "time limited" but accepted the government may need to make "further adjustments as required".

      Delete
    4. The press got hold of this before the organisation told its staff.

      Delete
  8. https://www.bmj.com/content/384/bmj.q562

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prison healthcare in England and Wales is in perpetual crisis

      Delete
  9. Of course no creativity, reports written by a robot , everyone deemed dangerous, no empathy or tangible work other than processing why does an spo need experience ? A police community support officer could make sure boxes ticked

    ReplyDelete
  10. Senior and line management obsession with performance management and so-called quality assurance has condemned the workforce to a life of unbearable stress and a laptop probation service. Result: exit experienced and newly-qualified staff under demoralised mega-stress. NAPO must build a fight back and show campaigning leadership as opposed to simply turning up to negotiations knowing they are paper tigers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. https://insidetime.org/mailbag/angry-probation-officer/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an IPP (Imprisonment for Public Protection) prisoner with a two-year tariff, and I have served almost 18 years in prison. I am a category D prisoner and have been in open conditions for nearly three-and-a-half years. The Parole Board told me I should do 12 months in an open prison so that I can be tested on ROTL (Release on Temporary Licence) and have a gentle return to the community. The problem is that I don’t seem to get released. I have had five parole hearings in open conditions, and release is no longer an option.

      I worked outside the prison in a factory on ROTL for nearly a year, and done many unaccompanied ROTL town visits, but the Parole Board said I need to do three overnight home leaves on ROTL before being released. I started applying for home leaves every month since November 2021. But I was only able to do one home leave, due to Community Offender Managers (COMs) failing to do the paperwork or book a bed in Approved Premises.

      I have had three different COMs while I’ve been in this open prison. My last COM is on long term sick leave and is not working. A senior probation officer appeared at my last three parole hearings. He did not take responsibility for anything, he did not apologise, and he ignored the Parole Board’s directions and deadlines. He had a heated argument with the parole panel, and he lost his temper without warning. This senior probation officer said he will never recommend release for me; I should spend the rest of my life in prison; I should not be in open conditions; and he will make sure that his subordinates never release me. He also said he cannot allocate me a COM as no-one is available.

      Everyone at the hearing was shocked, especially as I am a model prisoner. The hatred and venom were the last thing I expected. The Parole Board issued directions after this hearing with deadlines for meetings and explanations, but the senior probation officer ignored them. This problem has now escalated to area level, but the senior probation officer continues to ignore it. I am without a COM. And I’ve got an angry senior probation officer out for my blood. Can anyone help with advice?

      Response:-
      As a very humble outsider, and therefore with no axe to grind, – I would like to think that this apparently unprofessional outburst, was a very one-off and unusual loss of control. It sounds as if the other members, never expected anything like it of him (rather than their saying, there goes old Joe again!!). If you or even better, your lawyer can speak privately to these other members, they may speak of their discomfort. Gossip being what it is, likely the Governor has heard of it by now, and may have been left in a quandary. It’s going to be important to protect that Senior Probation Officer’s “face,” – but Governors are tactful and skilled at solving problems over a cup of coffee.

      It seems to me that going HEAD-ON with (in order) an internal prison complaint, an IMB complaint, a Parole Board complaint, a Prison and Probation Ombudsman complaint, or a Judicial Review, – well, I think these are best kept in reserve.

      The key to me is the Governor. If you get on well with one prison officer, he or she might be prepared to speak privately and off-the-record to the Governor, about there being “a bit of trouble down at ‘t Mill.” Or a note could be pushed under someone’s door, perhaps. Or a visitor could be primed to enquire innocently about that “out of control officer, – how is he doing?”

      You’re saying that 5 Parole Boards have already turned you down, and please, would you guess at any reason for thar? Is there a ‘fly in the ointment’ that you haven’t mentioned?

      If you have worked a lot outside, is there any outside Employer who would speak up for “our boy”?

      I hope these cheeky “thoughts from abroad” are of some use.

      Delete
  12. Is there any indication from leadership that the prison overcrowding crisis is also a probation crisis, a public protection crisis and a humanitarian crisis?
    I'm guessing the ministers involved just plan to get to a general election and shuffle away

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't post that it's too traumatic to go public

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is posted and public what the hell is going on.

      Delete
  15. I'm not ready to talk openly about it yet

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jim can you delete the previous comments please.

    ReplyDelete
  17. might be worth a listen:

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001x4lk

    Investigating Employee Assistance Programmes
    File on 4

    ‘Employee Assistance Programmes’ - almost 25 million workers in the UK have access to one through their employer. They’re designed to help people deal with personal problems that might affect their performance at work by offering advice, support or counselling sessions. But are all providers offering a good service? File on 4 investigates.

    Reporter: Alys Harte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never accessed the EAP stuff. The trust between me and the employer is zero, so why would I in any state of vulnerability and distress dial in to their shitty and doubtless cheap and outsourced EAP? Would I feel safe? Be safe? It's there to tick a box. And box ticking does nothing for anyone other than the bean-counter and the manager blissfully thinking they're more powerful than the counter of beans

      Delete
  18. With great distrust I used MOJ EAP service within the last 3 months. The support they gave me was invaluable and was the intervention needed to stop me jumping off a very high cliff to guarantee I would be successful at ending my misery and not end up in a vegetative state in hospital. I am now receiving the help I need albeit not from MOJ EAP. They alerted my GP Surgery who cannot usually be arsed to respond to a request for an appointment. I am autistic and had just become so overwhelmed with no flipping training for new PSO’s , caseload allocations right at day one and the general acceptance by management , ACO’s and CPO that we would learn by osmosis. No proper training and buddy mentoring system that any decent large size private company would automatically do for new starters or those taking on a different role within the company. Yet we are sent in like cannon fodder from first day of takin up the role. . No one in MOJ and Probation hierarchy actually gives a fecal movement about the pressure you are put under from day one. As long as the SPO can allocate the case on WMT they are content. Tick boxes completed. Stuff the consequences. Am fighting back and insisting on every decision and conversation is now recorded in writing to CMA (cover my arse). They talk big in Parliament about how many they have recruited. Fascinating is that they don’t provide the stats of how many of those new recruits have left within a short space of time. Fu*+e&rs!

    ReplyDelete