Private companies have so much more access to power and influence than you, me and everyone else who relies on public services. It doesn't make it easy to fight for public services for people not profit.
Despite this, 2014 has been a great year in many ways – so let's take a moment to celebrate some of the things we've achieved together:
- Our Public Service Users Bill – which would push back privatisation and outsourcing – was introduced in parliament with a cross-party Private Members Bill.
- The Early Day Motion in support of the Bill was signed by 83 MPs and the first council signed up to support the Bill.
- We revealed new polling to show what the public thinks of outsourcing companies, and held a 'Sick of Serco' demonstration at the company's AGM
- Labour and the Liberal Democrats both committed to our idea of a right to recall bad private companies
- Our scorecard 'Privatisation: People vs Politicians' compared public opinion to party policies
- We drew attention to the 'cost of privatised living' – households spend £250 more on train tickets, water and energy bills because of privatisation
- We appeared in the media including the Mirror, the FT, the Independent and Sky News, and spoke at numerous events (Labour Party conference, Cooperative Party conference, Children England annual debate and many others)
- We joined with other campaigns to oppose the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership and to take a stand against the outrageous government move to privatise child protection (both battles continue..)
We Own It is a new organisation which has just one part-time member of staff and a team of volunteers. We are too political to be a charity, which makes it hard to get funding. We need your help to make the organisation sustainable. If you believe in what we're doing, can you spare £5 a month to support us?
Thanks again, and we hope you enjoy and might want to share our one minute Christmas video. Have a very happy holiday and best wishes for 2015.
Cat and the We Own It team