Wednesday 28 February 2024

Guest Blog 95

The Bob Hall Test

Well then. 38 years since I stumbled into a job in Community Service, here I am on retirement eve. A family bereavement has pushed this life event into the sidelines till now and puts me in a valedictory frame of mind.

I’m going a wee bit early, a year short of state retirement age. It’s going to be financially cramped but I had absolutely run out of steam.

Casting my eye back, a couple of snapshots: First up: catching a job in Community Service in Bristol in the 1980s. I had absolutely no idea what the job was. I was living on a boat in the chilly Bristol docks and the job came with a heating system, some cash, and was recommended by the lovely partner of the folksinger in the local pub. Only a few weeks in I was enthralled. I mean, wow, the State funded an organisation that worked alongside citizens who had fallen between the cracks of the state and broken its laws. We wanted them to do well. This organisation was imbued with a culture of social justice, a healthy suspicion of The State, and crucially, it was fun. It was actually fun to go to work. Uplifting. We liked each other, we respected our management, we took our responsibilities to our clients very seriously.

Second up: The Bob Hall Question. While I was training in Cornwall as a TPO, 2001- ish, I was mentored by the wonderful Bob Hall, PO. He was funny, brilliant, wise, humane. He called me “Grasshopper” (Kung fu, catch up younger readers). He had left his calling in the church but hung onto his pastoral mission. He was an old school Probation Officer, an inspirational role model with various sayings, one of which was “nobody in my caseload fails probation for not turning up” … he would drive home calling on any clients who hadn’t attended during the day to lodge the encounter in the records. He knew everyone on his patch. Another was “C’mon Su, we’ll do this the old-fashioned way”. This was to insert ourselves into the family home and “intervene” from there, counselling doting mums to try some tough love, persuade the landlord to hang off from eviction, trudge down to the CAB office to sort out benefits, check on how the kids were doing. As Bob neared the end of his days, he asked, poignantly “Did I make a difference?”

Spending most of my career in Probation management, I kept The Bob Hall Test in my head for the duration. Will it make a difference? While battling increasing managerialism early this century, at one point the Bob Hall Test was formally written into the analysis of new initiatives and any assessment of how much the team would sign up.

Did I make a difference is the question we should all ask ourselves every day. Top down. “Did I hit the targets?” is an incidental, secondary issue, and if the first test isnt met, the second is irrelevant.

Nearly four decades in, I reckon I can count on the fingers of one hand, maybe two at a stretch, the people I have worked with where I have assisted a really positive difference – and, sidenote, all of them clients with whom I had long lasting relationships. That is maybe a good enough tally. There are plenty who I have just eased through the system with as little mishap as possible. I can also number on the fingers of one, maybe two, hands the number of people on whom I have inflicted Enforcement, be it breach or recall.

I have been and remain, a signed up, subs paying Napo member, rep, and activist. Sadly, I can no longer represent individual members, but there is a fight to be fought for the heart and soul of Probation. I will endeavour to keep that up, but the ability to represent something you are no longer part of is difficult. The Bob Hall Test applies to all that work too.

I don’t believe in any hereafter, but should I have got that wrong, when challenged by St Peter (other religions are available) I will call up as witnesses those few wonderful, courageous people who turned themselves around, against all the odds, while I was on their case: hence my nom de plume Pearly Gates.

I am off to my lovely Probation team tomorrow for a last day. Don’t know whether I will laugh or cry.

Over and out

Su McConnel

18 comments:

  1. A wonderful piece Su! Thanks ever so much for taking the trouble to pen it on the eve of your official last day in the Service. It's been brilliant meeting you and getting to know you over the years and I know it will be a wrench adjusting, but you have many other strings to your bow and I know our paths are bound to cross in the future. Hope today goes well and very best wishes for the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su MC brilliant officer and genuine able activist. More than many. Su worked in a number of offices and got on well with everything and anyone. A hard working commited old schooler no question. Drive to work for a long time from Wales to
      Sw to then go back demands massive energy. Then to apples in Wales . Su was pr savi and put what's needed across in a multitude of ways yet I know Napo one of her passions didn't quite appreciate the capacity of her. More often managerial activity for staff difficulties Su would encourage the staff to union membership. Su would ensure the best outcome for the staff than inanely punish as they do today. Discipline is about learning to improve not face threatening process but sadly those days are gone. I suspect there won't be many left like her now and Wales will flounder without her direction wish you well Su.

      Delete
  2. From Carole Doherty on Twitter:-

    "You made a difference to so many “on probation/in probation”, your wider Welsh community and wider Napo, to me. Thank you for reminding us of what probation was/should be, and thank you for being the tenacious, funny, compassionate, wise, professional, honest activist you are."

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Tania Bassett on Twitter:-

    "So apparently it is @sumcchey last day as a Probation Officer. Thank you Su for all you have done for Probation and for Napo over the years. I hope you will stay active as a champion of the profession. You will be sorely missed by all of us at Napo@Napotheunion Enjoy retirement!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes Su - oh how I remember those days and folk like Bob Hall who imbibed me with the spirit of probation in Liverool in the mid 1970s.

    Do please get Jeremy Cameron's last book - I have been reading it on the loo - some of the contributors are familar to me Jeremy, Judy Green, Cyril Cleary and a few others I sort of recognise.

    Yes I remember doing the home visits to find out what was going on - I made a point as taught - to always include a home visit before I wrote an SER/PSR and if it was not possible to say so and that therefore my conclusion (NEVER recommendation) was incomplete.

    I hope retirement goes well - for me it has been the hardest part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Dave Adams on Twitter:-

    "You can retire knowing you’ve impacted so many lives in so many ways , some you know about and some you don’t. Best wishes on your retirement I hope it’s everything you want it to be."

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a difference to my life.As my SPO in St Cats you nurtured my career, and introduced me to union activism. In turn you helped me to pass on your passions to my daughter, now a 23 year old politically aware young woman. I thank you for your service

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew I hope you find comfort in your retirement

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can so relate to your experience Su, I joined the service to ‘make a difference’ all those years ago when assist, befriend and advise, led our approach, and as a Christian this has always been a ‘mission field’ for me, and so fulfilling. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. This is the best guest blog spot I’ve read. Happy retirement. Be safe in the knowledge given your blog and the sense of your beautiful, kind work ethic, you’ve absolutely met the Bob Hall test!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Jake Phillips on Twitter:-

    "Great post Su! All the best for your retirement and hope you’ll stay in touch."

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Twitter:-

    "Fantastic blog and reflection Su; all the very best & keep fighting for us all holding up the probation values - to do right by people, the right way !!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Twitter:-

    "Wishing you a long and very happy retirement, Su! 🥳 I wish there could be a return to the old school ways. I no longer recognise the service I joined nearly 3 decades ago."

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Sally Lewis on Twitter:-

    "Wonderfully expressed Su. A working life of real value and, as you importantly highlight, friendship and fun. Wishing you a happy and fulfilling next chapter to life."

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been and are an inspiration Su. All the best in your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blog, and life, moves on, but please allow me to say how touched I have been by so many kind and generous comments here and elsewhere. Thank you all, its meant a lot
    Su

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pity you’ve left and there are not more probation officers like you. In my office the older probation officers are unhelpful and rude. Always being rude to admin and never speak to PQiPs and new PSOs. I don’t think they care about making a difference because they only ever talk about themselves and their workloads. Ask them for help it’s always no or too busy. When they want help or cover they’re quick to ask and won’t take no for an answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. Everyone is struggling and an unhappy workplace is awful. I'd say, Join a Union, which is where I got both strength and comfort. But anyway, best of luck to you.
      Su

      Delete
    2. Im in a union. It doesn’t change the toxic culture. I can’t speak with the rep as she’s friends with the po bullies.

      Delete