Thursday 16 February 2023

A Reprise

First composed and published as Guest Blog 26 some 8 years ago and by someone who reckoned they had 10-20 years until retirement, I think it's worth having another look at in detail. It covers a lot of ground, is a good summary and encompasses many of the key issues that are still with us today. Hopefully it might add something to the current dialogue regarding our future, not least because increasingly it's becoming obvious to many that:-
"Perhaps the best way to enforce, rehabilitate and protect the public is by advising, assisting and befriending."
To which I would add:- 
"Being a Probation Officer is completely incompatible with being a Civil Servant." 
Advise, Assist and Befriend

I've seen a lot of changes in probation over the years. When I started working in probation most of my colleagues tended to have 20+ year service records, while managers had been in post for like forever. The success of qualification as a Probation Officer was a real achievement, particularly when working alongside such long serving staff, some with previous careers in professions including mining, finance, teaching and the military. In those days you had to be qualified for at least two years to supervise a dangerous offender or lifer, you wouldn't be allocated a Parole Report unless you had already proved your worth in both report writing and through-care, and you needed an arms length of quality service to become a manager and a lifetime of service to become a senior manager or Chief Officer. Nowadays the new recruits can be allocated a caseload of high risk offenders on the first day and management is an escape route for those that have the least understanding of probation work. Pay increases were on an annual basis and I'm sure pay bands used to be a lot higher too.

There were always unique characters in probation offices, such as the good-natured colleague that supervised all the lifers and was always visiting prisons, the colleague that was an expert on mental health and seemed in need of the service too, the rebellious Union colleagues that management revered, you know the ones that were eventually seconded off to the local prison (the elephants graveyard for burnt out probation officers), the colleague that would bring in token presents for the most isolated clients at Xmas and allegedly on occasion would invite the most needy to dinner at Xmas and Easter (to which management turned a blind eye), the colleagues that awoke the office with Reggae tunes first thing every morning (if you were in early enough to hear), the colleague that seemed to have mastered the art of avoiding all unnecessary meetings in place of fag and coffee breaks, the colleague that was always trying to bend and reinterpret legislation and sentencing guidelines (sometimes summoned to appear before Crown Court Judges to explain their proposals), the colleague that wrote Pre Sentence Reports so lengthy that the rest of us went into hiding at gate keeping time, and the colleague whose Pre Sentence Reports were so short they could fit on two sides of A4. What united us all was the value of being probation officers and the desire to help our clients to change and improve their lives

I think I joined up when Probation had just about clawed back its status as a worthwhile profession after Michael Howard had tried to kill it off, but since qualification it's been downhill all the way. Unfortunately much of our good work seems to have been eroded and this has escalated under recent governments and the introduction of TR. Pay freezes and 1% pay rises are now an expectation, sickness and stress levels have risen even for the most experienced staff, probation management (particularly those recently retired CEO's) sold us down the river and told us to say "thank you", and we've lost a disproportionate amount of experienced staff to CRC's to be replaced by probation (PQF) trainees fresh out of university, some of which don't really seem to know what probation work actually is, or don't really care. Sad but true.

I joined probation a few years after leaving university too. I had the experience of youth work and being employed with various non-statutory rehabilitation agencies, and before that manual labour was my thing and long before that I was a delinquent and subsequently a prisoner, that's the experience I brought. On the last point (now that I have your attention), probation believed in me and in turn I've believed in every client I've supervised. I've once known a client return to probation as an employee, and I've counted amongst my probation officer friends over the years a few former football hooligans, two reformed prostitutes, numerous recovered drug addicts and alcoholics (some in relapse if the Xmas party is anything to go by) and a few convicted of the more minor indiscretions.

So I'm not at risk of being accused of glorifying offending or bringing probation into disrepute. I add that over the years my undesirable bunch of probation officer friends has also included a range of identities and top notch exemplary characters from the lowest classes to the borderline upper class, and even two 'new money' lottery winners still actually coming to work. I've also been lucky enough to work with some of the best probation managers, and thankfully my current manager is 'old skool' and and falls into this category.

What binds us together in probation is the contribution we make to society in supporting probation clients. We hold a basic set of values believing every person can change, given adequate support, motivation and opportunity, and this can shines through for many no matter whether they qualified with DipSW or DipPS. Ever since the Probation of Offenders Act 1907 provided the statutory foundation for the probation service we've been 'advising, assisting and befriending' those under our supervision. A few weeks ago when prepping for a parole hearing I came across documentation from what was then the Probation and Aftercare Service and I thought to myself, "even though it's hard to see amidst the MoJ limescale and gloss, we still are that service".

Despite all the changes, the IT failures, the TR omnishambles and the combined impact of the ideas of Michael Howard, Chris Grayling and all the other probation-haters, we will always be probation officers doing probation work. I won't pretend that probation officers are not overworked or are sometimes too preoccupied with assessing risk, MAPPA and "protecting the public". And we know when we attend hearings with barristers and psychologists that we're evidently not lettered enough to earn anything more than £27 per hour in providing our opinions. However, for whom the Courts think fit to be placed under our supervision every colleague I know takes their duty seriously in helping probation clients to improve their quality of life, which is what probation work has been about for over 100 years.

The reason for this now rambling post was to respond to the comments on this blog from probation clients, the ones that have unfortunately had a negative experience of probation. I occasionally comment here as 'Probation Officer' and I used to Tweet as 'SaveProbation', so this is an addition to my previous two-pence worth. A while back I fell out with my probation bosses over too many outspoken views and so moved on to pastures new, but I returned a while later because of my love for probation work, albeit less active in the campaign against TR (which has now been lost). The disclosure about my own background and that of some of my colleagues is to highlight that probation officers come from all walks of life as do the clients we work with.

I cringe at the implementation of too many conduct policies, vetting procedures and the now forced adherence to the Civil Service Code, which I think has become partly responsible for some of the rigid probation practices that undermine 'best practice'. This is unfortunate as our gift is that we're real people with real experiences and we use this in our work. Saying that, we do need forms of appropriate regulation and this is not an excuse for the discontent towards probation supervision, but if recruitment does not allow for variation and diversity then we may as well buy a bunch of robot probation officers like they have in the USA (probably coming to a CRC near you soon). Sometimes we don't have the time to bend over backwards for clients, we can't provide flats in Mayfair or jobs with the Bank of England, and yes sometimes we do have to refuse a release from prison or return clients to custody. We can't please all of the people all of the time.

I understand the frustrations of both supervising and of being supervised, and I have in the past come across probation officers that wrongly believed that probation clients should not be anxious or angry about having to come to probation and should even welcome their supervision. I've witnessed probation clients wrongly breached for arriving 10 minutes late and even learned of clients recalled to prison for trying to 'chat up' their probation officer or expressing a few profanities during supervision. I remember when 'supervision' wrongly began to take a back seat to CBT programmes and the activities on offer from outside organisations became increasingly more important, and when Community Service worryingly became a way to generate an income and create photo opportunities for local politicians and Police and Crime Commissioners.

What I'm saying is that we all know that there has been problems in probation for some time, made worse by TR, but I've also seen all of the good work. Some say they took away probation's social work roots and others say they turned probation into an enforcement agency, but they did not. Every probation office I enter has the same old mix of varied staff all trying to work towards the greater good. The age and experience of new entrants to probation officer training seems to be ever decreasing with the latest recruits fresh out of university, but I still don't think the ethos of probation work can ever be removed because by the time the 'nodding dogs' have escaped to management roles the rest would have already begun evolving into "poxy social work types" (as I was recently referred to).

The government is constantly banging on about reoffending rates but what's usually omitted is the fantastic news that the majority of people on probation do not reoffend. I know my own work has aided these figures and this is a summary just from today for those wanting an insight into probation work. After dropping the kids off at school I arrived at work, fighting the traffic to arrive at my usual time. I checked my emails and picked up a file and on to visit a local'ish prison. The visit was to discuss release plans for a man soon to be released after serving a very long sentence. He has no home to go to and no family to support him, but I've got him a place in a probation hostel and he's happy with that. We finished with a bit of a chat about Morgan Freeman's parole speech in the Shawshank Redemption, one of his favourite movies.

Two hours later I was back at my desk going through emails ranging from concerns about a young offender to gripes about what may be lurking in the office fridge. I tend to pick up the phone to respond to emails it's faster and I don't need to evidence everything I do with an email. As I was on my way to join colleagues for a team lunch I bumped into a client on his way in to see me unplanned. He wanted to use the phone to call the Benefits Agency so I put my coat back inside and sat with him while he made the call. He's not very articulate (and "where's my effing money" never works) so I explained the situation to the person on the other end of the line to get the ball rolling. 40 minutes later and after listening to his reflection on his recent melt down over Xmas, job done and I managed to grab a sandwich to eat at my desk.

Over the next few hours there was the usual steady stream of emails, telephone calls and clients in my direction. At the same time I was working on a Pre-Sentence Report due in Court in a few days time. The person in question is suitable for a community sentence and that's what I'm recommending. I try to keep people out of prison wherever possible, and I try to emphasise rehabilitation over punishment. My to-do list also includes a Parole Report, a recall review report, a few risk assessments and supervision plans, and I'm usually running a bit behind in updating the contact logs with details of every phone call and email and every visit from a probation client.

It had already turned dark outside and was nearing the end of the day. The last client through the door is young and headstrong so I always try to spend a bit more time with him. He's really started to do well since being released from prison and we have a chat about his future plans to keep him focused. He failed his driving test in the past week so we talked about that too and I gave him a few tips for his retest. In return he let me hear his lyrics in his latest Youtube video, which thankfully only lasted a few minutes.

The last part of my day is usually spent updating the contact logs, and then finishing outstanding prices of work. I managed to complete a recall review report ready to be countersigned and sent to the recall unit. The client in question has outstanding offences so I'm recommending that he's not released from prison just yet. His solicitor had been constantly phoning me about this decision and doesn't seem to understand legal processes so I'm no longer taking their calls until my report had been submitted.

Just as I was having a chat with colleagues and about to switch off the computer an email came through with confirmation that a prisoner due to be released will not be detained by the immigration section. I rang his parents with the good news and my working day ended on a positive note. It was a long day but a good day, as are most days in probation. There were no crisis situations, I wasn't called a "cunt", nobody turned up homeless, and there wasn't a fire drill so it was all good.

Its probably a good point to get back to the point of the article, which is to remind probation clients that we are here to help and we are darn good at it. I'm not interested in claiming to protect the public, provide a service to victims or to enforce 'proper' punishments. My job as a Probation Officer, not an Offender Manager which is an awful term, is to advise, assist, befriend, help, support, motivate and rehabilitate. Anybody can be an 'Offender Manager' (whatever that is) and in my book impersonating a Probation Officer should become a criminal offence.

The Government meddling and the introduction of TR will not change my ethos and nor will the business plans of the new owners of private probation companies. As the news of the cost cutting strategies of the new private probation companies begin to emerge it is quickly becoming apparent that they may have bitten off more than they can chew. The Offender Rehabilitation Act is built on too much controversy, TTG to be delivered by privateers and charities is already a looming failure, and only an idiot would introduce a Post Sentence Supervision strategy that is abbreviated and referred to as PSS.

Probation work cannot be properly costed because if it were we'd be getting a lot more than £27 per hour. Nor can our work be time restricted or dictated by government whims, that's if rehabilitation is to remain an achievable outcome. When probation services are in tatters, when a new Justice Secretary is in post and when all those probation Chief Officers and management types that aided and abetting the sale of probation are forced to lower their heads in shame, we will continue to say "We told you so" and we'll carry on with advising, assisting and befriending.

Probation Officer

20 comments:

  1. A long old read that over the cornflakes and coffee. I have been some modern key stroking recently in a sessional capacity to my local office. Having been retired 6 years. Reading this conjures up memories of part b and c recording. I used to read these to clients as a reminder from their start to finish their improvement and look back at milestone achievements as motivators. You could not get a client into an office these days let alone share a screen nothing to see here now. This modern agenda focuses on pure number not much else but that each case has the same reporting recording process. All that free choice belief in change hope for a better treatment and value the individual has gone as a way of preventing subjectivity of people. Of course favouritism . Well it happened then and today not much anything else. The Mish mash described above will never return as the staff group around here today don't recall it and could not see that process of requirements today all data gathering monitoring and control. Not a good thing nor a bad just a new job in a new era . As I sit here covering sickness and extra work to help I am at least undisturbed in the screen but no one troubles me to reflect on old ways at all just occasional chatter to reaffirm a view the cases is more risky than not and the rest is back on screen. You don't see any court and tie jackets on chairs and few papers on the desks it's a robotic place and the description above would be frowned at and criticised I can see why. My last day tommorow untill they call me back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did someone know something in 2021?

    https://justicejobs.tal.net/vx/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-13/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/3/opp/47209-47209-Serious-Further-Offences-SFO-and-Complaints-Team-Lead-South-Central/en-GB

    Band 6 – Serious Further Offences/Complaints Team Lead – 1.5 FTE – South Central

    The South Central Investigations and Review team has 1.5 full time equivalent Band 6 Serious Further Offence (SFO)/Complaints Lead vacancies. This is an exciting opportunity to lead the newly formed South Central team, covering Thames Valley and Hampshire & Isle of Wight.

    This is a Senior Manager role within the Performance & Quality team structure, working to the Senior Operational Support Manager job description. The role involves overseeing the quality of SFO Reviews; Complaint Investigations and outcomes; as well as the line management of SFO and Complaints Reviewers.

    Candidates will need:

    a probation qualification and relevant operational experience (Senior Probation Officer level)
    thorough knowledge of probation practice standards, particularly assessing and managing risk
    excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work positively with stakeholders, including at a national level
    good analytical and written skills, and the ability to form clear judgements on the quality of work
    the ability to identify and share learning at all levels of the organisation
    the resilience to manage high risk and high profile work on behalf of the organisation

    ReplyDelete
  3. From napo magazine (if it hasn't already been posted):

    https://napomagazine.org.uk/government-is-failing-probation-staff/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we covered it - but no harm in a reminder.

      Delete
  4. The most recent (1 feb) probation article I could find in a brief trawl this morning

    https://policymogul.com/key-updates/26721/labour-calls-for-investigation-into-claims-that-probation-staff-are-pressured-into-lowering-the-risk-of-dangerous-offenders

    and a link to the relevant written question submitted:

    https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2023-01-17/125451

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, some things have changed, wages havent

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with a more localised and community oriented probation service, independent from prison and civil service control, rather then the nationalised faux crime fighting agency that I believe it presents as today.
    However, what would regaing its independence, and breaking away from the prison service and civil service actually change with regard to probation delivery?
    For sure it would create a space where big changes were possible, but would they be made? Or would it keep on doing the same thing albeit independently?
    I googled advise assist and befriend this morning and the following was the first thing that came up (I dont know where its from)

    "This last phrase about 'advise', 'assist' and 'befriend', which to many in the current climate of the Probation Service is viewed as a profanity, continued to ring down the decades until it was dispensed with in favour of 'public protection', 'enforcement' and 'rehabilitation' in the late 1990s when probation officers ..."

    I genuinely believe that probation has not just strayed from its roots, it's been replaced by a wholly new plant.
    I'm sure staff need better working conditions and smaller caseloads as well as better pay, but would achieving those things actually mean much change to the current delivery model?
    I'm inclined to think that current practice combined with an ever increasingly younger workforce has imbeded attitudes and beliefs about probation which might be too difficult to change.

    'Getafix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difficulty is to eradicate the weeds that continue growing as they never really go away and then cause new weeds to grow. This as with the advise, assist and befriend ethos that many heard, read or learnt about. It’s still in the old journals and referred to in academic teaching. Many in probation still adopt this ethos even those some were not even born in that era.

      I remember when advise, assist and befriend was laughed at and frowned on by senior managers and CPOs but now some are trying to revive it. There’s an interesting comment on the article you found,

      “The idea that Probation Officers “willingly signed” up the draconian changes to the probation service in the 1990s is nonsense. We took industrial action in 1991 to try to stop the changes. As has been seen by recent events Probation officers were never able to protect the public and the whole idea they can is faulty. That’s why for the first 90 years of the service history it was a welfare service to “Advise, Assist and Befriend ” offenders was a much more realistic and sensible approach”. Prior to 1991 the probation service had a much more “therapeutic approach” and in my opinion, with this light touch approach, was probably more successful in reducing offending than beating people over the head with multi appointments with different people and strict sanctions. It sounds counter intuitive but I rarely if ever had to return people to court as they turned up for appointments as they found them helpful. There was hardly any paperwork and I could spend the majority of my time with people helping them turn their lives around. They should return the probation service to its welfare orientated origins and cut the crap about public protection. Never was able to do it and never will its just setting the service up to fail.”

      Delete
  7. 8 years later. Probation is a different place. A frustrating place where being a Probation Officer is becoming completely incompatible with being a Probation Officer in the Probation Service.

    There are many like me still advising, assisting and befriending. Frustrated by the decreasing respect for staff wellbeing. Frustrated by the increasing layers of processes, tools and audits.

    The increasing layers of management are part of the problem and rarely provide solutions. Solutions formed by managers, performance and non-frontline personnel rarely are.

    Vetting has been an interesting time, although ‘lived experience’ is more accepted than once was. It has to be, two of the last three Prime Minister’s have Fixed Penalty Notices. I’d love to get both in a room for an hour with TFEC!

    I am optimistic about our new Chief Probation Officer.

    / Probation Officer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probation needs to change the recruitment ethos, we don’t get many PQIPs in the 45+ age range and I’ve seen more of Halley’s comet then male PQIP’s in that age range (well maybe not quite but nearly). I’ve known both personally and know of a number of experienced male PSO’s who have not passed the psychological online test to become a PQIP’s, that can’t be positive (I’m an experienced PO so I'm not saying this out of bitterness). There is lots of recruitment in universities focused around Psychology, the Social Sciences and other similar subjects rather than concentrating on places where people of all genders who are 45+ would see adverts and consider a career in probation.

    The Visor vetting (I passed mine so again I'm not saying this out of bitterness) is done by the police and now prevents PQIP’s from joining or can have current staff either moved or not allowed to access certain systems and thereby humiliating them. The Non Police Personnel vetting checks are not just limited to your criminal history, previous investigation history (have you been investigated for any offences in the past regardless of outcome) and credit history but also the criminal record and investigation history of your mother, father, siblings, step family, partner and includes any half siblings you may have that you do not know and/or do not have contact with. It also includes anyone you know who you believe may have a record. So your half-brother who you don’t really know and don’t want contact with may be a offender and it’s up to the individual police force if they accept that does reflect on you. It also asks if you have a history of addiction or mental health issues whatever that includes.

    I feel that Probation struggles to tell the difference between toxic masculinity that poses a significant concern and the more traditional masculinity that can help to work with offenders and is not toxic.

    I further feel that much of the issue is around the ability and benefit of modern politicians, Probation senior managers and now more middle managers like SPO’s. They like lots of stats, lots of writing, 80% of your time in front of a computer, perfect reports even if that means you can’t work with people. In the past probation would take people who were good at working with people to reduce offending even if they had some challenges with writing reports, now you will fly up if you are great at political report writing and CRISSA but intimidate all your POPs in every session thereby causing a backlash. I have heard many times the concept of “if there upset then you’re doing something right because your challenging them” although there is some truth in that it should be people go to objective to upset other human beings. We have never and will never have the access to staffing to demand everyone is great at both people and reports, sometimes one has to give and it used to be reports, now its people. I hear PO’s who trained in the late 90’s onwards slagging off Advise, Assist and Befriend saying we are here to manage risk and we are not support workers.
    At the select committee on 31st January 2023 talking about probation (Link to watch it below) Antonia Romeo stated that re offending rates have reduced, the context was how managers are implementing and ensuring changes are made to the probation service. However I would also suggest that this statement will also be used to justify the Risk Management, predominantly computer based role that Probation Practitioner has now become and to not move back to more support based work.
    I also fear that Probation will remain in the Civil Service as it gives better career opportunities to the right people and help all people aim for capo di tutti i capi in questa cosa nostra

    https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/351a8582-5ca3-4457-b380-9bea0be65fd1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advise, assist and befriend will return. Probation’s only hope is to return to its roots and this best describes probation.

      Public protection, enforcement, risk management, monitoring, control is part of what we do but does not represent what we do.

      Remove the police influence, ministerial control and tough on crime mantra and we’re back to our roots.

      Delete
    2. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/recruitment-drive-to-toughen-parole-scrutiny-with-more-ex-police-officers-and-detectives

      Delete
    3. A national recruitment campaign launched on Wednesday (15 February 2023) will see the number of Parole Board panellists from policing backgrounds almost double, from 26 to 51.

      Panellists are responsible for making finely balanced risk assessments when deciding whether to release prisoners on life and other indeterminate sentences once they’ve served their minimum term.

      Recruiting 25 more Parole Board panellists will double the number who have first-hand policing experience of managing serious offenders and the risk they pose – placing a greater focus on public protection in parole hearings.

      The government will also legislate to make sure parole reviews of ‘top-tier’ cases will involve members with policing backgrounds. This category includes the most dangerous offenders convicted of murder, rape, causing or allowing the death of a child and terrorist offences.

      Deputy Prime Minister, Justice Secretary and Lord Chancellor, Dominic Raab, said:

      The public want to know that parole decisions are being made by those with good insight into offenders’ behaviour like police officers and detectives.

      Their first-hand experience and understanding of risk will give parole boards an even greater focus on public protection and make our streets safer.

      Since the root and branch reforms of the parole process were announced last year, the government has already introduced a raft of changes to toughen up the parole system and restore public confidence.

      This includes tightening up the rules around open prison moves so all indeterminate sentence offenders – those who have committed the most serious crimes, including murder and rape – face much stricter criteria to move from closed to open prison.

      Further reforms, including a tougher release test for parole prisoners and new powers for the Justice Secretary to block the release of dangerous offenders, are also set to be introduced as soon as parliamentary time allows.

      New panellists are expected to be in place before the end of the year and will at least double the proportion of Parole Board members from policing backgrounds from 8% to 16%.

      Currently, parole hearings are conducted by a panel of one to three members who come from a variety of backgrounds, including judges and psychiatrists. The panel considers a wide range of evidence and hears from the professionals working with a prisoner, such as probation officers or prison psychologists, and listens to victims about the impact the crime had on their lives.

      In order to direct release, the panel must be satisfied that it is no longer necessary for an offender to be in prison in the interest of public protection. In practice this means ensuring that any risk presented by a prisoner can be safely managed in the community.

      Delete
    4. What utter rubbish. Policing has nothing to do with rehabilitation, resettlement. The police is not even a credible organisation and has some of the worst behaviours amongst it staff. One of probation’s biggest mistakes has been letting itself be infiltrated by the police.

      Delete
  9. No chance it recruits robots now the ethos is well and truly changed for ever

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it ironic that the police are still charged with vetting. Given that their own processes have failed to stop rapists, domestic abusers, thugs and voyeurs joining various forces….
    Looking around now it’s hard to see anything of value in the CJS. Prison numbers remain far too high, racism is endemic, politicians make appalling decisions and rehabilitation feels like a thing from the distant past. Voluntary groups are underfunded, accommodation is dreadful, benefits are pernicious and even now people are released from prison homeless. It doesn’t really take a great leap to see why people continue to offend. Alongside this the cost of living keeps rising and the rich simply peel off more and more. The Labour Party is equally clueless. As I cast my gaze around I often ponder what life would have been like if I had been born in the 1990s rather than the1960s. Given my background I doubt I would have been able to achieve anything really. When I was younger I shoplifted, stole Ford cars (easy locks), got into trouble with an air rifle (accident) left school with 2 CSEs, worked in a factory, got sacked and then started my education. It was all free. Margaret Thatcher was the Prime Minister. I had all my university fees paid, got a PO job and well that’s it really. The fact is it would be impossible to take that path now without amassing some serious debts. On my course we learned about Marxism, power and social control. Probation has always been about social control so stop kidding yourselves. It’s just more overt these days. I grew up with criminals, I saw houses raided, police sticking the boot into neighbours and appreciated early on how the state flexes its muscles when needed. Probation these days is an extension of that power. It monitors thoughts, ideas, politics and passes information about political extremism and even identifies asylum seekers for the Home Office. I mean really….how low can you get. I wouldn’t have seen probation as a worthy career. It’s no better than the police and prison service.
    And that’s a real problem. Why would anyone tell you anything? If I was unfortunate enough to have to see an officer I would never tell the truth. Contrast that with my experience when I first started. What surprised me was I was how willing people were to tell me all sorts of things that were really very private and personal. It took me ages to cotton on that they actually trusted the probation service in ways that they didn’t trust the police or the prison service. I still have friends who remain well known to the police and from time to time finish up in front of a harassed officer for a report. My advice these days is lie, don’t trust them and tell them nothing. Smiley pigs are still pigs. All the trust has gone, and that will never return. So to conclude, what would I have done if I had been born later? Education is expensive, even if you finish up paying for it, the probation is service is what these days? Smiley pigs, and an embarrassment to its history. No thanks I would rather have developed my car skills fucked off with an ACOs posh car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot a I can identify with in your piece. Sadly,I agree about the loss of trust in probation as a force for the rehabilitative good. If I was in a legal predicament I would have nothing to do with probation. ideally new clients to probation should be cautioned about their rights to remain silent, but failing that, lie, cheat etc, - but don't trust probation.

      Delete
  11. The Police have a philosophy that is incompatible with rehabilitation or probation this move will keep the new super prisons full to capacity……which is clearly the plan, ably supported by the top tier of probation who, when they stop patting themselves on the back support the new equation of Police good……Probation bad……as it makes the organisation seem tough just in time for it to be subsumed into OneHMPPS (mess)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even Probation staff aren't safe

    ReplyDelete