Tuesday 28 November 2023

What's the Recipe Today, Jim?

Yes, it was a long time ago - google it if it means nothing. At three in the morning, I often find myself pondering on what to publish that just might be of interest and keep a discussion going. We could run with any number of possibilities on the academic front, but experience tells me they generate little interest and are just too long for reading on a smart phone which is mostly how the blog is accessed nowadays. That's a shame of course and not how it used to be at the start. 

Overnight I see a regular contributor has brought to my attention an academic work from 2015, Privatising Probation: Is Transforming Rehabilitation the End of the Probation Ideal? by John Deering and Martina Feilzer - apparently the blog gets about a page for having  "meticulously documented the implementation of TR". Well, that's good to know because one of my intentions was to provide an audit trail for future historians when researching the background and reasons for the demise of probation. 

Naturally I looked back through the archive and noticed that the authors gave extensive evidence to the Justice Select Committee in 2018 and ended with this:- 
 
Conclusion

In our view the cumulative effect of the changes to probation’s corporate values, the divergence of values between practitioners and government and the recent dramatic changes to governance and organisational arrangements, may have already started to affect practitioners’ sense of self-legitimacy. This, in turn may have a long-term corrosive effect upon probation practice and its wider legitimacy. An important aspect of self-legitimacy is the extent to which practitioners feel that they are enabled and supported by their organisation and that they internalise the values represented by their organisation (Bradford and Quinton 2014). In our view, the current situation means that the self-legitimacy of many practitioners is, at the very least, in some doubt. This in turn may lower morale and foster discontent with the quality services provided to those under supervision. If practitioners come to feel that the service provided to supervisees is not what it had previously been, this may have a negative effect on their feelings of being the holders of legitimate authority.

There is evidence to suggest that practice is already changing and that probation provision is becoming increasingly fragmented with clear differences emerging between NPS and CRCs, different CRCs owners, and different regions (HMIP 2016a). In our view, considerable damage has been done to some individual probation staff’s sense of being a member of a ‘collective of professionals doing an important job well’ (Ugelvik 2016).

--oo00oo--

Well, as we now know, their concerns have sadly been proved to be well founded and it's interesting to note the miserable path to where we have now arrived, and evidenced by the weekend outpourings on OASys, was well established even back in 2018:-

"An important aspect of self-legitimacy is the extent to which practitioners feel that they are enabled and supported by their organisation and that they internalise the values represented by their organisation (Bradford and Quinton 2014). In our view, the current situation means that the self-legitimacy of many practitioners is, at the very least, in some doubt. This in turn may lower morale and foster discontent with the quality services provided to those under supervision"

A few days ago, under pressure, I cancelled an appointment to visit a vulnerable, traumatised woman in prison, in order to get ahead of the "performance" priorities. I didn't seek authority for this decision, and when I mentioned it to my manager, it was nodded through. After an afternoon battering a keyboard, and hitting every performance target I had, I came home feeling... like a bit of me had died. Lord knows how my client feels, I don't, seeing as I wasn't there.

16 comments:

  1. I think you’re onto something here. Already accessed my laptop to prep the day ahead and just having a coffee before heading in. I feed the machine, I no longer do probation work as it no longer exists. Self-legitimacy a concept rather than the reality I once held so dear. I really try to make it all work but chasing the targets is the reality of what a PO is expected to do now. My values are so different from our excellent leaders that I believe there is no meaningful connection between senior management and practitioners left. They can tell us they care, spout HMPpS values all they like but we see, we hear and we know their behaviour. The disconnect between the practitioner and senior management is wilful, what they desire and what they’ve earned. I despise our senior managers for what they have done to Probation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember ‘What’s the recipe today Jim?’

      Delete
  2. From Russell Webster:-

    "The Justice Secretary Alex Chalk has announced a partial reform to one of the greatest injustices in our criminal justice system – the sentence of Imprisonment for Public Protection, commonly known as IPPs. Mr Chalk has proposed changes to the indefinite licence period which all IPP prisoners are subjected to, by introducing government amendments to the Victims and Prisoners bill which will:

    Reduce the qualifying period for an IPP licence review from 10 to three years. This means that three years after their release, a person serving an IPP will be automatically referred to the Parole Board for a review of their licence.

    If a licence is not terminated at the three-year mark by the Parole Board, it will automatically terminate after a further two years if the person is not recalled to prison in that time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.theguardian.com/law/2023/nov/28/sentencing-changes-freedom-for-some-moj

      Delete
    2. It is basically the very least he could do, I guess hoping to keep Bob Neill and others on board. Welcome but no way near enough, and wont touch all those still inside

      Delete
  3. The problem with sort of discussion desire v reality of the daily is that all staff are equal. The management see them as task doing. Po grade argue we are special then gripe the job is data entry psos do the same role but pquip say we are special again because we had 9 months in some sort of trading. You all do the same job. Exactly the same . Arguing po manage risk is not true everyone manages risk and the more usual new risky are leaps from low to high by SFO. If you want to beat employers it has to be via a capable union a claim for equal pay for equal work for women against male po counterparts and we restructure the female gap after a case victory. Until this professional argument exists the whole structure will remain locked into infighting. Napo unions wont take a case anyway and your devolved job will continue to get rinsed away as it has been and you will remain on pressure tasks for a stat hungry computer . The unbridled snobbery of claiming a po status of today is a farce. The real job of a po has been described many times on this blog. It is not a fable but a very different role of engagement with a person in order to effect positive change. It cannot be argued convincingly any po can that sort of engagement or achieve any level of understandings than what the computer demands. Being a cold piece of desk top toolkit it remains stuck in a consumptive mode while some staff hark back to a golden time while newer staff think they are more important data processors than pso data processors. In either case the computer does not care who taps the keys the task is the same the quality is no different. Oasys is the only show in town the title is merely a public deception that somehow their is special care for mass protection. When terrorists succeed the secret services invoke all their old tropes and so do probation. There will be no change until it is all one singular argument. Unfortunately Napo the members the grades are divided just want the employers enjoy the status quo prevails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d say nobody “manages risk”. I doubt anyone knows what this presumptuous Probation Service nonsense even means.

      Delete
    2. Somewhere in there was a good point. If only you used some grammar, it might have been a good read.

      Delete
  4. FYI Liz Saville Roberts MP is holding a debate in Westminster Hall tomorrow at 11am (30 minutes) on Prisons in Wales

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only risk that appears important these days is the risk of missing targets, which of course would reflect badly on the great leaders. I feel severely compromised!!!!!! The risk to the public should be the overriding concern and risks to the service user ought to be important. I am 15 years in as a PO and I am so demoralised, I have interviews in line with MIND and Save the Children, and ironically the pay gap is no longer so different.I don’t feel I am abandoning colleagues as many have already departed. Indeed there is an established “friday club” of ex probation officers and those looking to leave, needless to say the craik is good, the bitterness exists but the sense of unity and shared experiences and contacts is truly inspirational. Probation is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In any profession you have support staff in teaching , teaching assistants and nursing , nursing assessments , only in probation does a ‘ professional ‘ qualification mean nowt that’s why you’d pay is rubbish

    ReplyDelete
  7. "A few days ago, under pressure, I cancelled an appointment to visit a vulnerable, traumatised woman in prison, in order to get ahead of the "performance" priorities. I didn't seek authority for this decision, and when I mentioned it to my manager, it was nodded through. After an afternoon battering a keyboard, and hitting every performance target I had, I came home feeling... like a bit of me had died. Lord knows how my client feels, I don't, seeing as I wasn't there."
    I wrote that in 2018, and pleased to report I went with Advise Assist Befriend- it was so off script from the current script it was heady and when we parted company at the end of her licence not that long ago, she was doing really well. She was, is, awesome and I loved her to bits. She managed me and herself pretty well. All that trauma, she was slicker at managing me than managing herself so I hope she is ok now. I for one am the better for the journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon 22:09 Really good to hear and that you recognised your words. Thanks for the follow up.

      Delete
  8. From Twitter:-

    "I just requested leave, timed it around operational need to be nice. Have over a month worth to use up. Occ health told me I should be off with stress. No other time to take it. Manager says maybe not as it might impact on targets. Stick a fork in me, I'm done."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate this post may elicit the usual jobs worths bemoaning people using sick leave when they believe it isn’t legitimate. You know it impacts on others blah, blah, blah. However in this case I would urge you to follow your Occ Healths advice and take a month or two off. The fact that it impacts on targets hardly matters really, especially so when you read the damning inspections. Get yourself off and relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now agreeing with you sadly. These employers are monsters

      Delete