Sunday 3 June 2018

General Secretary Election 11

Hi Jim,

My apologies to you and your readers for taking time to respond, unfortunately my mother has been unwell so I’ve been travelling between Kent and Hampshire a fair bit this week.

I’ve noted the questions that have been asked of me and I do not like dodging straight questions, in fact I believe straight questions always deserve a straight answer, however some of the deeper issues that I have been asked to respond to I believe would be better served if I am successfully elected and given access to historical information, Napo’s position on such issues via AGM motions and from speaking to a broad range of staff. Obviously I’ve not been in a position to access these three things routinely and I would very much like the opportunity, should I be successfully elected, to listen to members’ views on these issues and take a deeper look into what branches have raised on behalf of their members via AGM motions and start to take those motions forward with the various employers to try and achieve the desired outcomes.

One of the things that previously struck me as an issue from my trade union work is the lack of direct approach in trying to achieve motions that come from branches via their members, after all they are properly debated by conference, passed by those delegates that have attended and then seem to fritter away into the wilderness, ultimately the membership set the business of the union and it is the leadership’s job to try and make those things happen and if successful in this election I welcome those issues and debates setting the order of business.

There have been several highly critical posts about the current election process and the seemingly poor communication, whilst I cannot comment on what individual members have been told or have read I understand that the NEC are constricted in their approach due to the rules that have previously been set and in ensuring that they do not fall fail of employment law, Tulcra and other legislation that dictates the election process.

From my perspective it certainly feels a very restricted process. I have stood in quite a few different elections and it is usually down to the candidate to make contact with branches and members and to actively promote themselves to any potential voter. In this election however a very short timeframe has been set in which to gain any knowledge of candidates, following my application for the role I was then required to attend an interview with a panel to select candidates suitable for election in London, next in the process a limited 500 word election statement was sent to the branches and a request that branches nominate a candidate. Some branches requested the attendance of both candidates so that branch members could scrutinise and cross examine each candidate but this could only happen if the branch contacted Napo HQ to make the request, if the branch met the costs associated with each candidate’s attendance and moreover only if both candidates could attend would the meeting go ahead, from my view this has obviously placed many restrictions on me being able to meet potential voters, branches or else and offer my views opinions and get my message to potential voters. If successful in this election then this is something that I believe would need to be addressed for future elections to ensure that anyone standing as a candidate is able to actively run their own campaign and send out their own message to try and gain support.

It is clear to me that the key priorities for any General Secretary for the next 5 years will be to;

Ensure Napo is financially sustainable for the future.

Take on key issues for members such as pay, privatisation, excessive workloads and maintaining professionalisation of the employed roles that Napo represents.

Improve services to members and make obvious strides to support members concerns.

Restructure the union to ensure best value for money and that internal policies and rules are fair, transparent and tailored to Napo’s core values of equality.

Take a more robust approach to members concerns with the various (24) different employers that Napo has recognition with.

Over the next few weeks I will continue to communicate via this forum and I believe it will be worthwhile that I setup a social media page where potential voters can find out a bit more about me, my beliefs and my priorities if successful as your next General Secretary.

Kind regards

Mike Rolfe

10 comments:

  1. I like Mike.

    Mike, do you think Napo subs are too pricey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely that depends on what we get in return? For me, that's the problem and where does our money go

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems ludicrous that a candidate cannot address a branch unless the other candidate is present. This restriction/veto tactically benefits the incumbent (who has been to most branches) against the outsider whose had no facetime. This election seems like something out of a bygone age. I see Napo is still banging on about consultative/indicative ballot on pay. One wheel on my wagon and I keep rolling along...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unions have many functions. I would be interested to know what MR's view is of what NAPO's functions and priorities should be and to what extent these can be met given the state of finances and income from membership? Being a part of something of value, a professional collective with broad common interests alongside the service that individual members can expect. What are MR's thoughts about the collective benefit of being in a Union and the service members can expect?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off course. The Telegraph has uncovered examples of head teachers in areas with acute teacher shortages paying up to £12,000 for a single hire, while the average commission is believed to range from £3000 and £5000.
    Senior sources in the Department for Education said they would be investigating the practices of agencies in the recruitment and retention strategy, which is due in the autumn.
    I would like to know more about this in respect of recruiting Probation staff. What are the costs and benefits of using agencies in comparison to previous in house recruitment?

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/03/surge-in-terrorists-eligible-for-parole-poses-threat-to-uk-security

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grayling today (Monday) is to be questioned by MPs in private about the chaos on the railways. Even Tory MPs are now calling for Northern and Govia Thames Link to be stripped of their contracts.
    Grayling may then have to face another urgent question in the commons.
    The whole privatisation / outsourcing model is flawed and broken. Last week it was East Coast Mainline being brought back in house. But the MoJ in the same week brought a large portion of its IT outsourcing back in house too. Interserve with multiple government contracts has just begged and borrowed its way out of trouble only to find itself hit with a demand for £69m for extra costs on its waste management contract. They contest it, but if they lose it could be curtains for them.
    CRCs are in discussion with the MoJ, more money or we'll give probation contracts back.
    And in an amazing move by Tory led Peterborough Council, they've announced they wont be renewing their bin collection contract with Amey. Instead, they're going to create their own in house company to run the service!
    Have the privateers eaten too much from the pond and now have to look for new feeding grounds?
    Privatisation and outsourcing has been a very expensive and very damaging social experiment. Its failed, and now the worm is starting to turn.
    Maybe probation is next to come back in house?

    'Getafix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Mike but he has not explained why he left POA chair so soon.Was thatless than a year? question are you a quitter when going gets tough?

      Delete
    2. He left as he was standing as a Parliamentary candidate in the general election last year - he had to resign from his job to do this so therefore had to resign from his role in the POA

      Delete
    3. Great summary there Getafix. Surely the welter of scurf generated by privateers is such now the tide must turn

      Delete