Friday 15 January 2016

Oh Yes It Is!

Google :- 'Omnishambles' - a situation that has been comprehensively mismanaged, characterized by a string of blunders and miscalculations.

Given today's publication of his latest report on the state of probation under TR, it's fascinating to be reminded what Paul Wilson said to Civil Service World in his interview last October. I've missed out all the guff at the beginning:-

Paul Wilson interview: the interim probation inspector on reform, outsourcing and resource pressures

The controversial privatisation of probation services is no “omnishambles”, interim chief inspector Paul Wilson tells Sarah Aston. But he does worry that resource pressures could lead to a repeat of the Daniel Sonnex tragedy

........given the daunting workload Wilson inherited after stepping into the chief inspector role in February – a post he will remain in while the government searches for a permanent replacement for Paul McDowell, who was forced to resign over criticism of his personal relationship with MoJ outsourcing bidder Sodexo-Nacro.

A veteran in his field, Wilson joined the profession at 21 as a probation officer (“After university, I carried on doing a ‘vacation job’ in catering, but then I met the person who was going to become my wife and she was already a qualified teacher so I thought, I really ought to get a ‘proper’ job”) and has led probation services up and down the country, as well as serving as a non-executive director at the National Offender Management Service.

In his current role, Wilson is not only overseeing a shakeup of the inspectorate’s model, but is also responsible for ensuring the comprehensive Transforming Rehabilitation (TR) reforms maintain probation standards. Introduced in April 2015, the reform programme has seen the privatisation of almost 70% of probation services, splitting offender management between privately owned Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRCs) and the National Probation Service (NPS).

It’s a challenging task, given the apparent unpopularity of the reform programme. In April 2014, probation staff around the country went on strike over the changes and penal reform campaigners have continued to express concerns. “It is absolutely true that the reforms were very unpopular, of course they were – it’s a huge amount of disruption,” Wilson says.

This is picked up in the chief inspector’s annual report – published in August – in which Wilson said there are “significant operational and information sharing concerns across the boundaries of the National Probation Service and Community Rehabilitation Companies”. However, the report went on to conclude that “transitional” problems could be resolved with “time and continuing goodwill”.

“There are still significant numbers of staff who retain that optimism, and hope that, freed from some of the bureaucracy of the public sector, they will be able to exercise more professional judgement and get more job satisfaction,” Wilson explains.

“For all we have reported on real issues around practice, it is true to say that the wheels are not coming off the probation service. It is withstanding this change process very well indeed and performance for the most part is standing up. Omnishambles this is not.”

When he speaks about the reform programme, Wilson’s tone is generally sanguine. Yet he does accept there have been real challenges in delivering it, and concedes that, in some cases, concerns over privatising offender management are valid. These concerns have been supported by his inspections.

Among the biggest changes are the decision to outsource the majority of cases – CRCs are now responsible for all low-medium risk cases, while the NPS handles the high risk cases – and the move to introduce a payment-by-results framework for CRCs. One campaign group told CSW this framework raises questions about the incentives behind managing caseloads, as there is a risk companies might focus on “easy” cases to ensure payment, or fail to escalate those deemed a “high risk” to the NPS for fear of losing money. Is Wilson worried about these scenarios?

“The idea of perverse incentives has been an issue since payments-by-results was mooted in the coalition government,” Wilson acknowledges. “There is a concern about getting the allocation system right. There are major teething issues around that process – that absolutely cannot be denied – but that’s not a failure of policy or probation instruction, it’s an issue around the time and the priority that practitioners actually have in the heat of the courtroom and the 24 to 48 hour turnaround that follows the court’s decision.”

“We simply can’t know the answer to those questions yet. In my annual report I said that I thought it would be two or three years before the system is settled and the data is reliable enough to make judgements about that sort of thing,” he says.

“On social media that was characterised, I think, as me saying: “Well, fingers crossed!” he adds wryly.

“It’s not that for a minute, it is just it would be wrong to leap to conclusions at this point in time before the system is anything like mature.”

Likewise, when asked if he believes companies will use the need for commercial confidentiality to block inspection work into key areas of service delivery, the probation watchdog says that, while he does not think it will be a problem, it is too soon to tell.

“I think it has been a reality in one or two sets of circumstances in which the inspectorate has been involved, but as we engage with CRCs, I’m for the most part reassured that the new companies see a bigger picture than that, and are prepared to share what they are doing and their data and information, and will do so into the future,” he says.

“I understand the issue, but I think it’s far too soon to be pessimistic about the way CRCs will respond. Overall, we have to hope everyone invests in the probation system, and sees that, actually, all the organisations are still very much connected. I’m still optimistic about the ability of the whole system to work across the board.”

While Wilson remains hopeful about the success of the reforms, one area he is decidedly less assured about is the impact of any further cuts as a result of the austerity agenda. And while all Whitehall departments and arm’s length bodies are facing spending challenges, Wilson has seen first hand the consequences resource pressures can have on the probation service. In 2009, he was appointed chief probation officer in London – a role that no-one wanted – immediately after Daniel Sonnex murdered two French students when on probation.

“Sonnex was a serious offender, and at the time the murders happened, he was supervised by a young, inexperienced probation officer with a ridiculous workload of about 120 cases, line managed by an inexperienced temporary senior probation officer and a remote senior manager. It was absolutely awful, it shouldn’t have happened,” he says.

While the Sonnex incident was a result of poor local management of people and resources, rather than budget cuts, for Wilson there is a lesson to be learnt.

“If I can make a link between the Sonnex case and Transforming Rehabilitation – it’s right that from a neutral position I remain optimistic about what may be achieved under TR, but I do have a worry. We are in times of austerity and this government wants more for less, and the new CRCs have a bottom line in relation to costs and profit. In that context, I am worried about the prospects for staff and the future staffing levels and I fear the Sonnex scenario being recreated with inexperienced staff, possibly less trained and qualified than they were before, with larger caseloads, managed and supervised by more remote managers.

“That is my fear. It is no more than a fear – there is no evidence at the moment that that is definitely going to happen, but that would be my fear and I’ve already started a process of drawing ministers’ and others’ attention to that because, by the time it is either disproved or becomes a reality, I won’t be sitting in this chair.”

Wilson plans to step down in February 2016, by which time he thinks the new permanent chief inspector will be in post. At 65, he is looking forward to his retirement. Although he may not be entering any baking competitions, the chief inspector does intend to make the most of his leisure time.

“I’ve got three children, the oldest lives in the States and he and his partner have just had a baby, so part of the plan is to spend more time in California. That will be hard won’t it?” he laughs.

Yet, while this will be his “last full-time senior management or executive position”, he doesn’t plan on leaving the arena completely. “At the beginning, as a young probation officer, there is no doubt I was driven by the belief that probation could help people, and help offenders, to turn their lives around,” he says. “I still absolutely believe that in my heart.”

WILSON ON…

...being London’s chief probation officer after the Sonnex case
“The reason I was asked to go and do the job – originally for a few months – was that no-one else wanted it, because it was so tough. My proudest achievement, I think, is that I did enough to make it an attractive job for other very able and talented people after I left. In the space of two years we were able to get trust status, which was the prize at the time.”

...changing the inspection model
“When TR was devised, the deal with the CRCs was that they would be less constrained by old policies and practices. In light of that, the inspection regime had to focus more on outcomes and reoffending rates than it did in the past, where there was more of a concern for quality processes. That’s been an interesting journey for the inspectorate. We have got to the point where we are already piloting our new quality and impact inspection model, and we think we’ve got the right balance: the best of the old, but fit for purpose in relation to the new. There is much less emphasis on ‘have you done this, that and the other to the required standard?’ and more on the question ‘have you made a positive impact on this offender?’ and ‘explain to us how you did it’.”

...what the private sector experience gave him
“There are many people in the public sector who still characterise this new world of outsourcing probation services as ‘public service good, private sector bad’. I mean, that simply has not been my experience of working in the private sector, and working with private sector companies. It is far too simplistic. I think it’s that level of understanding, the ability to explain that good values don’t belong just in one place, that I’ve bought with me, and that has been the most valuable lesson.”

47 comments:

  1. A hopeful Inspector hopes the CRCs will see the big picture and not block inspections with confidentiality firewalls. A 'hopeful' inspector will frighten no one

    A muddled Inspector says that policy and probation instructions will not be the cause of any failures as these will be around 'time and priority' and resources. How can policy be divorced from resources? And what a wacky stance where probation instructions are not risk assessed to see if they are achievable in a resource depleted world.

    An Inspector actually says something that will allow him to sleep at night.

    'I am worried about the prospects for staff and the future staffing levels and I fear the Sonnex scenario being recreated with inexperienced staff, possibly less trained and qualified than they were before, with larger caseloads, managed and supervised by more remote managers.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. The usual disconnect between what is happening in reality and what the Inspectorate is peddling........omnishambolic it most certainly is

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There is much less emphasis on ‘have you done this, that and the other to the required standard?’ and more on the question ‘have you made a positive impact on this offender?’ and ‘explain to us how you did it’.” - Paul Wilson

    What an interesting question, especially with probation services being run by ruthless international catering companies and ministerial incompetents. Professional standards are no longer required, resources hardly exist and probation officers are being sacked en-masse to be replaced by electronic monitoring, Skype and unqualified/inexperienced new recruits. The CRC's Sodexo Links et al has decimated what's left of probation and the NPS' E3 is set to do the same. If there are any positive answers to Mr Wilson's question they may include the words "by a miracle".

    I'd like to know what the HMIP expects probation (best practice) work to be, and the ways it expects probation services to provide it. It's very strange it has "inspected" the quality and impact of the current TR-damaged services provided, and there's little comment on what we know to be the failings of these services.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I fear the Sonnex scenario being recreated with inexperienced staff, possibly less trained and qualified than they were before, with larger caseloads, managed and supervised by more remote managers.
    “That is my fear. It is no more than a fear – there is no evidence at the moment that that is definitely going to happen, but that would be my fear and I’ve already started a process of drawing ministers’ and others’ attention to that because, by the time it is either disproved or becomes a reality, I won’t be sitting in this chair.”"

    If I had used those words to describe the state of probation I'd be shitting in my jimjams. I'd certainly not be sounding smug about what may or may not be proven after I'd left to sun myself in California. What a ****.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The latest outrage in this disaster beggars belief! I understand that some PSOs in my area have been "directed " to work for the failing CRC for up to the next 12 weeks what's all that about?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continued sorry forgot to say my NPS area !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What area is this and do you know why?

      Delete
    2. Another day of wasted time on ridiculous tasks arising solely as a result of TR. What a farce.

      Delete
    3. Sorry don't want to identify area on here !! I would assume that it's a political decision to prop up the CRC ?? It's come from on high ?

      Delete
    4. It shouldn't take too much guesswork to identify which CRC has failed it's audit

      Delete
    5. 18.51. You only 'understand' something has happened. Maybe you don't know for sure. And if you do, your reluctance to name makes no sense.

      Delete
    6. My reluctance is to protect the identity of those it concerns no other reason

      Delete
  7. Granted I'm new but I'm so happy where I work in KSS. My colleagues have been great helping me settle in. My manager is well respected and works for us. I feel part of a team and I love making a difference. I get things used to be different but I've not experienced anything most people have said they have on here :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're "new" and want to keep reading, then go to the archive links and do some catching up otherwise some comments won't make sense. A lot has happened & many people are variously angry, distressed, disappointed and stressed - or all of the above.

      Presumably you would prefer to remain happy & motivated, in which case I suggest you delete the link to this blogsite. If you're truly okay where you are, don't spoil it & stay away!

      Delete
  8. It's good to be happy and not to be troubled by the Sodexo's and Sonnex's of this world. It's good to feel part of a team that is not threatened by redundancies. And it must be difficult being 'so happy' when others on here can only remember being happy in the workplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not gloating. I'm so disturbed at what is going on across the CRCs. My whole office reads this blog to keep updated. We will even strike for you. I'm just saying it's not all bad in every crc

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it's all going well in the KSS/Seetec CRC but didn't you tell us the same thing already a few weeks back?

      "I work in KSS. We're doing really well and it's a good place to work. I'm happy. We're recruiting at all grades and every staff member got a £150 bonus last week for Christmas. Your CRC bosses should take a leaf out of our books. I'm proud to say I work in this CRC"

      The way I see it is a dog is a dog even if it's not yet barked, and bark it will.

      Delete
    3. I don't see why we shouldn't take the post from KSS at face value. All the positives that he or she mentions are about how good the staff have been, and the good feeling about making a difference. All of that has nothing to do with TR - and, from the lack of evidence to the contrary at least, KSS seem to have made the fewest big changes right out of the gate, which may be why things appear better there. However, like Anon 20:10, I have my doubts that the situation will remain that stable.

      Delete
    4. 20.10 my posts at 18.17 and 19.15 are my first ever. I did receive a christmas gift but I did not publicise it

      Delete
    5. This means there're at least 2 contented staff in KSS/Seetec CRC. This is probably more than in all the other CRC's put together!! I wouldn't speak too soon however as Seetec is out for profit and the CRC cuts/redundancy domino run is still in its early stage. Seetec was tainted in the work programme so keep this in mind, but I do hope it works for you, we need at least one positive example. I suspect the story so far is due to the commendable efforts of your former Chief, Sarah Billiald, in getting you a half-decent set-up, and whom had my respect. But even then if we go back to her original pre-mutual opinion it does seem to now be playing out as predicted.

      http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jan/09/act-vandalism-based-ideology

      Delete
    6. The plans announced by justice secretary Chris Grayling are concerning (Private firms to take over bulk of the probation service, 9 January). Although high-risk cases would remain in the public sector, medium to low risk of harm cases can include violence against a person, child protection issues and domestic violence cases. This group also includes offenders at high risk of reoffending, such as prolific burglars, chaotic drug users and gang members. These are all complex and potentially dangerous individuals who require professional expertise in their management which the probation service possesses.

      As around a quarter of all offenders' risk changes during the course of their sentence, there will be a significant movement of cases between the public sector and new providers, increasing the number of handovers while reducing clear accountability. The Probation Chiefs Association has significant concerns that this, combined with the pace with which the government intends to implement these reforms, could end up compromising public safety.
      Sarah Billiald
      Probation Chiefs Association

      Delete
    7. Amazing speaking on who behalf Ms Billiald has never qualified as a probation officer what real experienced does she have. Er none.

      Delete
    8. I'm a probation officer and she spoke on my behalf. I thank her for doing so, and particularly because she did it at a time when most of her qualified counterparts did not.

      Delete
    9. I also work for KSS. Billiard jumped ship at the very start. She has nothing to do with how things are now. Whilst we do have to meet our targets, it feels like how things were before the split. I'm lucky I have a very good manager which helps but others outside my team feel the same so something feels right. This is not corporate BS. It's how I and others feel. Who knows how things will pan out in the future. All I know is that I enjoy my job (most days) and I for feel valued and supported.

      Delete
    10. This will change when Seetec kicks in with new practice models and staff cuts. It's the calm before the storm my friend.

      Delete
    11. 8.49 all operating models are in place but we're still recruiting. WAV banding is an anxiety for everyone nationally but things are stable here and have been since day 1

      Delete
    12. and as for the new KSS dress code........

      Delete
    13. What dress code?

      Delete
    14. Dress smart. No flip flops,men in shorts, blue jeans, trainers. All reasonable. You're a professional so dress professional. That's it in a nutshell.

      Delete
    15. Is this official? There's always been an unenforced probation dress code guideline but I never knew it was enforced anywhere? I'd like to see the whole message because I'm clearly breaching all of that so far, inc the flip flops!!! Lucky I don't work for KSS!!

      Delete
    16. And are they saying men cant wear shorts but women can? What about sandals, dark blue jeans, sweaters, etc? I can't believe you all walk around in business suits, floral dresses, tweed jackets and bow ties?!

      Delete
    17. I also work for KSS but do not feel secure. What happens in other crc's could equally happen to us. Anyone who feels complacent about TR is misguided. As for crc's being innovative and less bound by bureacracy, everything we do is bound by the nps and targets.

      Delete
    18. Usual trouble makers making something out of nothing. Who cares if this CRC have a dress code policy. Feedback is that there staff enjoy their work. There is nothing wrong with dressing smart for work. Most companies expect similar (dah). If you all read your HR policies you'll have the same policy

      Delete
    19. 12.55 should go and work at tescos

      Delete
  9. HMIP report - more evidence of the Government’s misguided, ideological rush to privatise the probation service - Jo Stevens

    Jo Stevens MP, Labour’s Shadow Prisons and Probation Minister, responding to HM Inspectorate of Probations’ report Transforming Rehabilitation - Early Implementation 4, said:

    “This report is yet more evidence of the Government’s misguided, ideological rush to privatise the probation service.

    “Labour, probation staff and sector experts warned from the start, the risk to public safety of the Tories’ reckless probation sell-off and it is clear many transitional issues remain. It is extremely worrying that despite repeated recommendations by HMIP for there to be sufficient risk assessment reviews of offenders, this is still not happening and I am concerned about the inadequacy of how safe guarding issues are dealt with.

    “The Government must urgently address the concerns highlighted by the report and tell us what they are doing to make sure that the public are protected and those released back into the community don’t go on to re-offend.”

    ReplyDelete
  10. At what point do "transitional issues" get recognised by the authorities for what they are, which is structural problems? Calling them "transitional" is unhelpful, because of the implication that they will reduce over time - which we simply aren't seeing, just more of the same nonsense, day after day, and it'll only get worse when the various cuts start biting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... And since these "transitional issues" have been present and steadily increasing since the TR split on 1st June 2014 it's difficult to see these problems as anything but structural. The HMIP's optimism is laughable as the impact of TR is culling probation staff and downgrading quality of service in both NPS and CRC.

      Delete
  11. Those pesky transitional problems will be gone by February 2016! I for one can't wait to see it all working so well! P Wilson remains as uncommitted, as he has always been, he doesn't have a back bone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transitional problems? Try Can'testan. Available in all good CRCs. - and California.

      Delete
  12. Witnessing disgraceful, treatment of staff in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Continued ... The Investors In People award should be removed immediately. To watch a man being made to jump through hoops of fire and then humiliated by being told he is to be seconded from NPS to a failing, in special measures, CRC is just too much. They will be sending us out to clean chimneys next. I am ashamed and very distressed. The shape of things to come? Hopefully, someone will stop this persecution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you clarify your comments 4.09. What is happening?

      Delete
    2. I hear chimney sweepers get paid good money 4.09.

      Delete
    3. Don't tell everyone. I had my chimney swept recently, cost £40. Mine was his 8th that day.

      Delete
  14. We knew something wasn't quite right in our CRC when our owners entourage started dancing to Drake "started from the bottom" the with them repeating the lyrics "now my whole crew is here". It's funny how front line and corporate services get shafted but brass brought in remain untouched??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cringe. Sounds like Les Grossman runs your CRC!!??

      (For those who don't know who Les Grossman is... )
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sr9_GfeoCjk

      Delete
  15. 6.50 I heard about this. Was at the all staff Xmas party. They were hugging one another in the center of the dance floor if it's the same party we are taking about

    ReplyDelete