Tuesday 14 June 2011

Dispatches from Bristol

The latest episode of Channel 4's 'Dispatches' screened on Monday 13th June and entitled 'The Thief Catchers' helped shed a bit more light on what dealing with chronic long term users of heroin was like when they're not a rich banker or wealthy bond trader. In order to feed their habit, each has to steal a small fortune on a regular basis either through shoplifting, street robbery or burglary. There is a general trend towards escalation in offending as their faces get well known to shopkeepers and they get moved on. Lying to all and sundry becomes automatic and consummate, even to friends and family in order to satisfy the constant craving for another fix.

In Bristol this type of offender comes within the remit of a Safer Community Partnership
initiative called IMPACT, but run in close co-operation with the local Drug Intervention Programme. The documentary served to illustrate just how the police have become key players in the whole 'offender management' business as a result of the last Labour governments 'tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime' policy. I know partnerships are a much vaunted thing nowadays, but it still struck me that PC Dave was just doing PO Declans job.

The film followed the fortunes of three long-term male drug users, each of whom had earned the title 'prolific offender.' I found this slightly confusing because I don't think IMPACT is a Prolific and other Priority Offender project (PPO), but there are so many acronyms in offending nowadays it might be. Such schemes are similarly made up of all relevant agencies and undertake to offer clients a so-called 'premium' service. The IMPACT initiative did seem to be run on similar lines as supported accommodation appeared to be on offer pretty quickly, as did drug treatment or 'rehab' as it was continually referred to. 

Unfortunately the makers of the film never told us exactly what sort of drug treatment the three guys received. My guess is that it would have been methadone replacement and I don't call this 'being in rehab'. The trouble is that definitions have changed as proper residential drug rehab beds have become like hens teeth. A place in a hostel and community prescribing through DIP I guess now counts as 'rehab, but as Shaun's case in particular demonstrates, changing entrenched attitudes and long-term addictions is a mighty uphill struggle and failure is routine. Well it is when we insist on not using alternatives like prescribing heroin. I suspect Shaun wouldn't have felt quite the need to blow his entire Community Care grant of £2,000 on street gear if he could get a script.

Actually Shaun highlighted how the whole person and all their needs have to be addressed in order to try and effect change. His arm-slashing whilst in prison was not so much a mental health issue as an emotional issue, but this is often misunderstood as the recent 'Strangeways' documentaries showed on ITV. 

Overall a useful insight I suppose into just how difficult and depressing the whole subject of drug-abuse is. I did chuckle at one point early on though when we saw a typical new-looking probation officer, or probation services officer, walk into the interview room with several large ring binders, one of which looking suspiciously like an OASys manual. We watched her telling the guy that she wanted him to do a victim empathy test and place various offences in order of seriousness. Unfortunately we didn't hear how she dealt with his reasoning that maybe murder was quite understandable in certain circumstances and possession of a firearm wasn't that serious.      

3 comments:

  1. You know Jim, some 'new' officers and PSO colleagues actually do a good job...

    I came to your blog searching for a bit of inspiration this evening. I am struggling with the demands of trying to maintain a quality of work that I am happy with, despite time demands making this seemingly impossible. But no joy at all. I can feel myself heading towards total burnout, and the only advice I received from a colleague today was to 'stop caring'. I almost wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim's blog got me through a similar bad patch when I felt total burnout as well. The best advice I can give to those in a similar situation is to keep reading and keep caring. Where you are going wrong is trying to please everyone, management,computer work,guidelines so called good practise courts police government etc etc.. Keep true to your basic probation values and instincts they will always see you through and encourage your clients to do their best for you their families and communities and sod the rest. Be brave stand firm against the torrent of interference just like jim does

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's Just Me,

    I think I want to echo what's been said. In the end, despite everything that I'm highlighting as 'going wrong' in my eyes, I've always found inspiration from the clients. Their willingness to share things with you and reward you for having the time to talk with them and listen to them.

    It's difficult I know, but try and remain focussed on them, because in the end that's what it's about. One person trying to help another when they are in a mess. This never was just a job in my view. To be done properly and to be effective, useful and rewarding, it has to be a vocation. For that you do need to care and in my experience strength can be gained by your clients responding.

    Thanks for reading and sharing thoughts.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete