Wednesday 18 May 2011

Time for Lunch

I didn't know this, but apparently it's a common cynical view that justice depends as much on when the judge last had a snack as anything else, and it seems the proof is here. Some research conducted in Israel on Parole Board decisions seems to show that the likelihood of release being granted depends on the length of time since the judge had a snack. The graph is remarkable in demonstrating a high release rate soon after breakfast, but then tails off significantly as lunch approaches. Following lunch, the release rate returns to what it had been in the early morning, but similarly tails off as the afternoon wears on.

Of course there could be other factors at work here, including just plain fatigue. Reading files and making important decisions on complex cases cannot be easy. Writing up the reasons for refusing Parole requires less words than explaining why Parole is being granted, so possibly the explanation is to do with fatigue and not food. The researchers acknowledge this and so the phenomena may not be as straightforward as might appear at first glance, but it does make you think doesn't it? I've got a funny feeling that when hanging around in court for a case to be heard, more often than not it's been a positive outcome towards the beginning of the day rather than towards the end. Anyone else noticed this? 

4 comments:

  1. Has "Bystander" seen this? (This is why I always try to go for job interviews after lunch)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I worked as a bail officer I suspected Monday's were lock up day, Friday's let out day. I swear if Peter Sutcliffe had appeared on a Friday he would have got bail. ( joke).. Seriously though such studies must raise the issue of other human failings such as racism sexism and prejudice in all it's guises. For these reasons I find myself often wishing that computers made decisions of bail and sentencing, particularly now when our service is riddled with lock up merchants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did wonder when I saw first saw this if it might have something to do with the scheduling of the cases. I know when organising things I fall into patterns both consciously and unconsciously, and it seems to me that perhaps that the person deciding what order the cases are heard in may have influence on this; e.g. cases where consideration is required are scheduled early, low chances cases are scheduled later. However given the pattern of multiple peaks and troughs, perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats an interesting post. I have noticed in myself the past several years that when I don't eat for quite awhile I get more and more grumpy and impatient with people. I get bothered easy even by my good friends and family, but as soon as i eat i get happy and life is good even though nothing even changed in my life from before I ate until after. So I definently think that food plays a large part in how the judges mood is, which will make him lean toward one way or another.

    ReplyDelete