Tuesday 12 April 2011

Professional Dilemma 5

Unlike previous professional dilemma's this one does not relate to a specific incident but rather a series of observations I've made over the years. It's come about as a direct result of a conversation with two long standing friends and colleagues who have progressed to becoming managers. Over a drink and meal out, the conversation wandered onto the topic concerning the particular difficulties encountered by team managers in having to absorb all the crap from below, at the same time as getting it from above. As always, these conversations only ever serve to remind me how clever I have been in avoiding that particular elephant trap.

But then we got onto the serious bit about other colleagues we had known over the years and in particular the horror stories. I'm sure every field of endeavour has them. The people who are completely unsuited to the work; the lazy and bone idle; the dangerous and scary. I had sort of always assumed that management were aware of such people. After all, surely that was part of their job? It certainly never crossed my mind that it would have been in anyway appropriate to impart  concerns or negative observations about colleagues to the manager. After all, we were all professionals and it felt so much like 'telling tales out of school'. Surely it said more about the messenger than the subject? I suppose my own insecurity meant that I would have been horrified to learn that I might be the subject one day?

As the conversation developed, my thoughts went back to the colleague that got a 'buzz' out of bullying young male clients. I could still see the look of glee on her face when she had succeeded in scaring them witless. The colleague who made clients lives hell and as a result they demanded to go to prison rather than ever see her again. The colleague who regularly refused to see clients who arrived 5 minutes late. The colleague who just couldn't be bothered. Sadly there had been quite a few 'wrong 'uns' over the years in my opinion.

Having shared these thoughts with my two manager friends I was genuinely surprised by their reaction. In perfect harmony they both intoned 'Oh you should have definitely told the manager'. Until then it had never ocurred to me to do such a thing. It would have seemed so disloyal. Although I was fairly clear the behaviour was unprofessional and didn't meet my standards of behaviour, it didn't seem to fit into any clear-cut disciplinary category of say inappropriate sexual relations with a client. This or similar I would have reported without hesitation. It was just very poor professional behaviour in my view, but surely the team manager can see it if I can? 

I'm still not sure about this, even though I am acutely aware that some clients got a very raw deal indeed. Some went to prison who possibly shouldn't have done. Some have been turned off 'probation' for ever. But I would still find telling a manager a real professional dilemma.     

5 comments:

  1. I have said this before but your blog is the only thing that keeps me going in the dam "lock up" culture this service through crams, oasys and national standards has got itself into. Tell the managers!
    I have been telling them for over ten years now but it's the likes of me who are or have been bullied out of the service for our beliefs. It's been a disgrace but thank god there are a few of us left "working from within" flying the banner of common sense reason and fairness and above all compassion. I can only hope that our time has come but think that there are two few of us that remain now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a newly qualified officer who has left the service, after 7 years going from tea boy upwards, having become completely disillushioned by the shambles of my area.

    During my training I lost count of the amount of times I winced in sheer amazement at the bundling, lets be honest, stupidity of my PDA. Illegal breaches, un-enforceable recommendations, the whole lot...in my bloody name! This sort of links in with a previous entry talking about that 'common sense' factor most NQOs lack nowadays and I can see why if every PDA was like mine. Of course there is a line manager up there somewhere in the HR dept suckling at the teet so to speak but I thought she was even less professional than my PDA. Its a vicious circle when 'these folk' get to the top!!

    Anyway, love the blog, great to keep my toe in. Although only recently qualified last year I have always felt more akin to the 'old skool' way probation used to work often find myself banging my head against the wall as many other readers here clearly do too!

    Cheers.
    AI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not probation or any form of justice. My background is industry.

    A good manager should know what goes on and the attributes and shortcomings of all his staff. After all, part of his job is to develop his staff.

    Whilst he may miss the occasional happening he should be well aware of anything that is continuous or regular and, where appropriate, should take action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for writing it.

    It seems there are a lot of justifiably negative comments to be made about the way the probation service has developed.

    Which makes me curious - what would you say to someone thinking of becoming a PSO/PO now? Particularly to one thinking of taking the leap of retraining as a PSO in their -- ahem -- late 30s?

    From what you've written over time I assume that if you were in that position, knowing what you know, you'd look elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say that, despite everything, the probation service still has a lot going for it and especially for someone with varied life experience under their belt. In the end the job is about people and one person's ability to interact with another in a helpful, therapeutic and caring way whatever they have done. Experience really is a bonus and if the scenario appeals, give it a try.

    Good luck,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete