Saturday 20 November 2021

Guest Blog 84

Reflections  

Well, for a multitude of reasons it has taken some time to reflect on the circumstances and nature of my own departure from the National Probation Service after many faithful years of service.

Departing my main grade PO role earlier this year (I opted for early retirement) I then commenced a new, part time job a few days later. However, I feel the need to confirm that I qualified as a Probation Officer and completed my degree after attending face to face lectures. I also benefited from lively but healthy debates and guidance from established, long serving Probation officers (like Paul Senior) who documented and accurately forecast the dismantling of a Gold Star Service.

During my years of service I have worked across several regions, a handful of offices and a few Approved Premises. I have successfully delivered groups that included ETS, Think First, SOTP and IDAP. I have ‘acted up’ (SPO) and was always without hesitation willing to cover colleagues and the service at inter-agency meetings, gaps created by staff sickness and a Service inability to provided adequate report writers. A regular at L3 MAPPA I have over many years held and managed some very interesting cases! I was always considered to be a very safe pair of hands.

I spent some time developing an IOM team and actively worked within a proactive team before that. Back in the day, writing a detailed and meaningful Standard Delivery Report ‘on a weekly basis’ was a core skill, as was the ability to navigate the murky world of IPP sentences and the ever-changing face of Parole reports. I have had cases audited in numerous inspections and the feedback received was always complimentary and to the best of my knowledge rarely critical. But then, we were always given time to sanitise and prepare cases in advance of any inspection.

Over the years, I had the misfortune of becoming involved in 3 SFO’s, the first concluded that the ‘Offender Manager’ had done everything in their power to manage risk and they could not fault my work or that of the Service. My second interrogation was not as forgiving and I was criticized for not completing an OASys on time and the RMP was not in the correct format. The reviewing Officer made a point of telling me (prior to a 3 hour interview) that he would find something and bless him, he did! Regrettably he never explained how the RMP format or timeliness would have prevented further offending? 

My third SFO occurred about 6 months before I left the service. At the time, I calmly advised it was not an SFO because the ‘allegations’ made were so thin the matter would never meet a charging threshold and as a consequence it could never get to Court. As predicted the SFO was abandoned approximately 2 weeks before my departure and I never got the opportunity to say ‘Told You So’. However, the Service left the sword of Damocles hanging above me for almost 6 months, that decision in itself contributed to my departure.

So what was the point of this brief narrative? Well, having taken time to reflect and recharge my batteries, I am happy to confirm that upon my departure from the National Probation Service, I am satisfied that I had experience in abundance, I was a bloody good officer, I was truly a safe pair of hands that never turned work away or took ‘sick leave’ because things got difficult. I met deadline after deadline, I maintained the quality of my work despite the best efforts of the faceless bureaucrats and bean counters whose only aim was to deskill and privatise the role. The Service allowed me to 'burn out', they allowed me to believe I was failing and not meeting the 'new' exacting standards' being pumped out.

I realized the angst, sadness and fatigue I experienced at the very end of my Probation Journey was not of my making. I can now say I am proud of what I achieved. The Service is now desperately trying to train new officers and yet they have never considered why they have lost so much experience. The Service should hang its head in shame for driving the dedicated few out of the role. Was that deliberate or was it simple mismanagement I cannot decide. However, I can say that the accelerated promotion of newly qualified and less experienced officers through the ranks will inevitably create problems further down the line. I have not seen any evidence to suggest retention of staff was ever a real goal? Experienced Officers at the top of their pay grade can become quite expensive to maintain and newly qualified Officers are much cheaper?

Am I missed? Well, the Service didn’t come crashing down after my departure; however the good-will shown to the Probation Service (by me) continued and was arguably ‘expected’. I had to brief officers regarding impending Oral Hearings, the content of Parole Reports and even some case handovers almost 6 weeks after leaving the Service. All done in my own time, however, I was glad to offer my views because in every case we were discussing a third party, an individual who often remained in custody, my integrity demanded that all available information be shared.

So was I missed at all? Some service users expressed anxiety and concern at my departure. Some colleagues also expressed their concerns at the loss of experience within the Office; I suspect my line manager struggled to allocate those extra difficult cases for a day or two. However, life goes on, the Service has inevitably found other willing work horses and in reality my time was an insignificance to such a great Public Service.

I still have to ask how the service will manage staff that experience direct threats, intimidation, knives being pulled in interview? How do you react to an individual that calmly produces bits of his own body that he has hacked off? Is the new generation of Officer willing or indeed able to work late and sit with an offender whilst finding accommodation? I have many, many times.

It’s ironic that on my very last day with Probation, I called at one of the satellite offices to say goodbye to colleagues and whilst there I spotted an Offender I had recalled a couple of weeks earlier. He was unlawfully at large and clearly sleeping rough. I approached him, took him for a cuppa and bought him a sandwich; I then asked if it was ok to get the police to collect him? He agreed it was probably for the best and I sat with him until he was taken in to custody. ‘Old School’. I didn't claim the money for the sandwich, tea or my overtime!

So what now? Well I am several months in to my new role, I do remain within the judicial system and my risk assessment skills are still being used, but for different purposes. I have rediscovered my love for work, learning ‘new rules’ and ‘new standards’ within a new organisation has been a challenge but one that I welcome because it is allowing me to grow again. My partner and children all remark about the change in my demeanour and general well-being. I have time for others now and I am no longer consumed by my occupation. I am sleeping better because I am not worried about deadlines or the behaviour of 58 Offenders who clearly remain my responsibility 24/7!

Do I miss the work? Absolutely, being able to work with and motivate individuals toward change has been a privilege over the years. I have achieved success and many offenders I have worked with over many years have gone on to live very productive lives, I know because many of them stay in touch. It’s a shame the service never studied individual attrition rates (Newly Qualified PO’s v Experience PO’s) that is where you will find ‘Effective Practice’. The ability to exercise common sense without the fear of SFO’s or failing targets would yield undeniable results, but the Service does not want to measure that. I stand by my results, breach and recall clearly has its place, but it should be used wisely.

"A one-size fits all approach to outcome measurement – based principally on the proven rate of reoffending (while strategically and symbolically important) – is unlikely to be sufficiently fine-grained and nuanced to reflect the complex reality of probation provision." (Kevin Wong, Associate Director, Criminal Justice at the Policy Evaluation Unit, PERU, Manchester Metropolitan University). Any Probation Officer worth his or her salt could have confirmed this.

To be an effective Probation Officer (in the past) relied on the presence of ‘people skills’, you had to have an ability to be non-judgemental, firm but fair management in crisis with an ability to challenge ‘confidently’. Sadly these are not traits I see being taught. Sadly OASys and meaningless targets appear to be the order of the day!

Will I ever return…..? Yes because I genuinely believe Old School will come back in to fashion one day.

Anon

43 comments:

  1. Can I start with a thank you for great service clearly a diligent integrity based officer. Helping past your finish date is respected here. However I doubt very much your early departure was just a coincidence to how you felt. The obviousness in the way over 50s is treated makes it clear they have an internalised process to rid the NPS of old school officers. Pushing skills out to take early retirement is part of their change the face of probation plan. Good luck in the new role but reads like they are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "However, I can say that the accelerated promotion of newly qualified and less experienced officers through the ranks will inevitably create problems further down the line."

    I think thats a phenomenon, and a significant problem that exists in many public services today.
    Achieving the position has by itself become the qualification for holding that position, the knowledge and experience that should be the qualification for a said position has become a secondary consideration.
    Accelerated promotion in any field is damaging and will enevitabley lead to deskilling, and deskilling will enevitabley lower renumeration and poorer working conditions.
    The problems that come with accelerated promotion has been labeled "the Peter Principle". Its been academically studied and the research carried out indicates that it will always cause problems, and is no substitute for the knowledge and experience gained through time on the shop floor.

    'Getafix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seen on Twitter:-

    "Wow Jim, I’ve shared this on Facebook, hope you are okay with me sharing? It is beautifully written and I could have been writing from my own experiences, so hard hitting. I resigned this week, after 19 years. I too would be happy to return when the ‘old school’ comes back."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seen on Twitter:-

    "When are exit interviews going to commence...which are not anonymous surveys! The retention of staff is poor! Why aren't seniors interested in why people are leaving and where they are going?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaving is regarded as disloyal not dissatisfied exit surveys only confirm what they know . On a sad story here https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/shamed-ex-tory-mp-charlie-25501153.amp

      This tosser votes for probation reform . Cuts to benefit and nodded in universal credit. He claims he is broke . Been to jail on benefits and is working with an over burdened po on low pay high caseloads in the legacy of a Tory privatised crap shoot. Amazing this disgraced MP can love what he asked a shit end for the neglected welcome you greedy Tory fallen. Some small justice then.

      Delete
    2. The exit interviews won't happen &/or won't be taken notice of because *they* don't give a crap; they'll simply be blowing out their cheeks with relief knowing that those with far superior skills & knowledge are out of their hair & they can now pull the big-cock-in-the-henhouse shit on the new recruits. *They* were never interested in good practice, just pockets full of filthy lucre & personal power.

      And we're going to have to cope with a rancid ratshit version of the existing ratshit service before any 'old school' variant could even begin to consider to re-emerge.

      Two words form one simple phrase that oh-so-neatly sums up everything about the last ten years or so - two words that Johnson is said to have uttered to his former boss & chums at the Telegraph celebratory piss-up post-COP26 (for which he had to rush back in a private jet):

      "Buyer's Remorse"

      And until the so-called capitalist libertarians finally fuck off, we (the taxpayer) will have to endure lifetimes of buyer's remorse over every single decision the uber-priveleged make - be it £billions to chums for crap PPE, £millions to Greensill, £millions in compensation for failed contracts, £billions in fraudulent furlough & business loan claims, £billions as a result of Brexit, etc etc etc.

      Delete
  5. Agree with all you write but think it's ok to take sick leave. It's not a weakness but an acknowledgement that you need to put your MH, well being first cos let's face it, our managers don't care about us. You said yourself you weren't sleeping properly etc.
    We don't think twice about telling a service user to see a GP but we're not very good at taking our own advice.
    I wish you well. You sound a good 'un.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seen on Twitter:-

    "My experience in probation over the last decade would not have been anything without this type of PO, wonderfully written piece. Best wishes to the ‘Old School PO’ in their new role, sounds like we were lucky to have them."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seen on Twitter:-

    "That was an excellent blog and all us old school can really identify with it."

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's some telling reflections on probation and SFOs in this piece on Yahoo news from yesterday.

    https://uk-news-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/uk.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/revealed-shocking-number-of-murders-committed-by-prisoners-on-probation-153200604.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16374870762257&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.news.yahoo.com%2Frevealed-shocking-number-of-murders-committed-by-prisoners-on-probation-153200604.html

    'Getafix

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great blog, thank you. We were informed by the man responsible for Probation workforce planning that retention isnt a problem. It really doesnt feel or look like that from where I am working. Early retirement is the new normal exit from a Probation Career now. And other old timers like me are working part time. Thats not a new thing in itself of course, but I hardly know any long serving front line staff who havent reduced their hours. So we are heads to be counted, but only fractions of FTE. And while my physical presence has been retained and I do my best for my clients, my heart and soul long since wandered off. When the "gratitude for all our hard work and dedication" tropes appear in communications with the troops, I get this unhealthy worm of absolute rage in my gut.
    There is absolutely no support offered to Oldies like me who increasingly struggle with the awful and endlessly morphing IT systems, so every day I am more and more deskilled. While eye-rolling managers clock my bemusement in the face of all that, I guess that the dreaded capability process is round the corner. At which point I too will throw in the towel. Without blowing my own trumpet too loudly, I reckon the skills honed over decades might be worth nurturing and supporting, Instead I feel deskilled, and frankly not so much unappreciated as insulted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Any additional conditions must be necessary and proportionate. Use of EPF2 is required."

    I wonder what the 'old school' make of the fact that Pitchfork was subject to 40 - yes, FORTY - licence conditions?

    Even though there are now a total of four types of licence condition - standard, compulsory, additional and bespoke - I don't think I could think of 40 licence conditions if I tried.

    It seems there are now 7 prescribed Standard conditions, 5 defined Compulsory, any amount of Additional (which must be both necessary & proprotionate), then anything else you could imagine comes under the umbrella of Bespoke.

    "It is now mandatory for a COM to use the EPF2 as part of pre-release planning."

    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/licence-conditions-and-how-the-parole-board-use-them

    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1010004/licence-conditions-policy-framework.pdf

    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/934539/managing-pe-offenders-licence-pf.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seen on Twitter:-

    "Retention is def an issue! I resigned and know other 40 something people who have also jumped ship! I feel relieved but a great deal of sadness as I know I am an excellent PO and had a lot to give...but you have to put your health and wellbeing first."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seen on Twitter:-

    "Since Unification staff retention as got worse in Yorkshire Regions. This what happens when you are under valued."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seen on Twitter:-

    "I wonder how much this particular dynamic amongst the experienced probation practitioner cohort has been studied. Is there a point that can be identified in an officer’s career when motivation begins to dwindle? I’ve observed it a lot in my years working within the service."

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the new world post-Covid, when many more of our populations are likely to be in need of lasting care, Johnson's Govt have dealt yet another kick in head to the UK taxpayer with his care Bill. C4's Helia Ibrahimi highlights as follows:

    Dilnot's proposals meant those with £500,000 of assets could lose up to 17.2% of their assets, while those with less than £106,000 could lose up to 43%.

    Johnson's proposals?

    * £500,000 of assets could lose up to 17.2% - no change

    * £100,000 of assets could now lose up to 80%.

    "If our covid inaction don't get rid of the nasty rats, then our Care Bill will clean up those that escaped."

    Fuck the Poor. Protect the Rich.

    Lets hope there's an outbreak of Voter's Remorse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bloated over-priveleged sex-pest has turned UK politics into a sick game, a kind of 'Etonian Roulette' e.g. screw your aide or screw the nation, kill the patient or kill the NHS...

      Its not unknown for the priveleged to play games with our democracy for their own entertainment, with a side bet:

      https://www.politico.eu/article/theresa-may-simples-aide-won-bet-with-pms-simples-comment-seema-kennedy/

      https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/minister-gave-lewd-commons-speech-to-win-navy-bet-83shvh6tvpz

      https://www.thenational.scot/politics/18512153.laughter-tory-mps-slavery-joke-revealing/

      Delete
  15. Seen on Twitter:-

    "An amazing PO...the service needs PO's like this...I was inspired by so many great POs nearing retirement...always there for advice, a brew....the service will have no experienced POs left soon. There should be a drive to recruit those resigned..retired back with new conds!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't go back to it for £60k, £70k or even £100k while the current senior mgmt structures exist, nor while it remains under control of HMPPS. And certainly not while probation staff are used as expendable tools of social control.

      Think about it - forty (40) licence conditions imposed upon one person "to protect the public" & its not even provoked a discussion, but ask someone to wear a mask on public transport or in crowded areas for the purpose of protecting others...

      Delete
    2. Emma Barnett was joined by former Justice Secretary Robert Buckland on Woman's Hour on BBC Radio 4 to discuss why he believes Pitchfork should have never been released.

      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0b5pgt3

      Prepare to see the Prole Board dismantled.

      Delete
    3. Money is not the issue it is a planned strategy to get rid of old trained officers .

      Delete
    4. Perhaps part of that strategy can be seen playing out here..

      https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/mp-tracey-crouch-welcomes-new-service-in-chatham-to-help-people-move-away-from-crime/

      The traditional role of the probation officer is being directly transfered to the private sector.
      It makes me wonder just what it is that attracts people to work in today's model of probation delivery?
      Or is it a particular type of person that finds today's model of delivery attractive?

      'Getafix

      Delete
    5. I guess they just love the job titles...

      Suki Binning, Interventions Alliance chief social worker/executive director of justice and social care

      Mark Nickson, head of HMPPS CFO

      Interventions Alliance, part of the employee-owned Seetec Group, was awarded the Co-financing Organisation (CFO) Activity Hubs across three English regions, South East, North West, and South West

      So where is this 'reunified probation service' that everyone was staining their underwear over?

      Delete
    6. It's the personality gtx get at control direct obsessive power trippers.

      Delete
  16. Seen on Twitter:-

    "Some difficult to hear reflections from Probation Practitioners here. Skills v tools & some deflated & undervalued workers leading to ppl feeling forced out."

    ReplyDelete
  17. My prediction about why people are leaving and feeling undervalued: constant data requirements including HETE, personal circumstances, risk registers, mandatory requirements about how things are recorded (drus tests) all of which add layers of time but don't get recognised in workload; mandatory dictats about "recording conventions" such as CRISSA and OASYS QA which mean people spend EVEN more time writing things down to proscribed standards; mandatory dictats about which toolkits are or aren't allowed and mandating their use this eroding professional skills; chopping up services and "referring" people out leading to service fragmention for the service user and loss of meaning in the supervisory role and point of attending supervision; worry and fear over SFO, not because we don't consider an Sfo review important but their focus on processes and targets and OASYS completion.

    The focus ultimately on data and process versus the very little focus on what we see as important I.e the supervisory relationship and using that as a tool for change, plus feeling responsible for things we have little control over (I.e housing) leads to an irreconcilable conflict in my view

    ReplyDelete
  18. Couldnt agree more, 15:04. Except I have no idea what HETE stands for. Wait, I'll google it...
    hete. A quagmire or morass, a swampy, soggy spot. Hete is a relatively small soggy area, but big enough to stop a man or horse.
    Is that it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Last chance: @HMIProbation is recruiting for six HM Inspectors (three-year secondments) – find out more and apply by 30 Nov: http://ow.ly/6snL50GE1TV

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

    Thomas Sowell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knock it off Thomas people who don't know what they are doing a tally really are on a different level to us plebs. Also they get well rewarded and have massive control authority and responsibility. You need to get a grip and understand if you don't realise how important Peppa pig is then you have no chance of appreciating how talented management are.

      Delete
    2. Thomas Sowell (born June 30, 1930) is an American economist, social theorist and senior fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution. But I guess he might have seen PeppaPig on the telly.

      Delete
  21. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/24/boris-johnson-accused-of-flouting-request-to-wear-mask-at-theatre

    Ah yes, but he's a self-centred libertarian. Rules don't apply to him - or his chums for that matter. They can do as they please with impunity.

    But... its ok for one person to have forty licence conditions imposed upon them on release from prison?

    It seems Pitchfork - who killed 2 children & seems to be a very unwell & unsafe individual - is also a self-centred libertarian who doesn't think the rules apply to him. He finds himself back in prison.

    1,197 = Weekly number of deaths where COVID-19 is mentioned as a cause on the death certificate, registered during the week ending Friday, 12 November 2021.

    Total number of deaths where COVID-19 is mentioned as a cause on the death certificate: 167,927

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heads up - new covid variants have been detected & identified as more virulent & much more transmissible. Its not believed to be in the UK - yet.

    Virologist advice: "As a reminder we have this new variant as a result of failure to control infections... Please play your part in limiting transmission... Please get vaccinated and boosted and mask up in public as the mutations in this virus likely result in high level escape from neutralising antibodies"

    That includes YOU, SubPrime Minister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its almost here... Israel have found cases; now Belgium; and this morning at least three passenger aircraft have arrived from South Africa in advance of the noon deadline, discharging up to 300 passengers per plane after 11 hours+ on the aircraft & however much 'mingling' in airport waiting areas. On arrival ALL passengers were free to get on public transport & disperse throught the UK without quarantine or notification.

      Delete
    2. In case you missed it, here's a quick round-up of what we heard:

      The new Covid variant B.1.1.529 is of "huge international concern" with the UK first to identify the "threat", although no cases of it have been detected in Britain currently
      B.1.1.529 has an "unusually large number of mutations", Javid said, leading the UK Health Security Agency to classify it as a variant under investigation yesterday
      The UK added South Africa and Botswana to England's travel ban list due to detected cases of the new variant in these countries, and the other four south African nations were added as a "precaution"

      Delete
    3. sensible & informed public health info here:

      "Please don't be stressed out about the new variant. We're still waiting on more info & same steps to avoid COVID. Get vaccinated (& boosted), if you're going to social/work events ask that everyone has done a negative home test (LFT), & wear masks in crowded/indoor spaces. The best way to stay out of future/further restrictions is to keep pressure off hospitals. That means working together to limit transmission."

      Delete
  23. By email:-

    "There is great disappointment in my area today following the issuing of the terms for qualifying for voluntary redundancy. (HMPPS website)

    It appears that after ACOs got first dibs, nationally, only about 100 people will qualify, those in the CRCs and NPS ‘displaced,’ by integration.

    There are many, many potential volunteers in my area just waiting for the opportunity to jump ship as it slowly sinks beneath the waves with ‘the leaders,’ climbing the greasy pole in order to avoid getting their feet wet."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the well documented problems with recruitment and retention, not only in probation, but in all areas of the CJS, its not surprising that, by fair means or foul, many people will find themselves trapped, or exit routes made difficult to achieve.
      The crime and policing bill, longer sentences, stopping the automatic release at the halfway point for some offences, changes to the parole system, and a myriad of other policy decisions are likely to see the prison population grow significantly in the next couple of years, and the truth is they just don't have enough staff to cope with that growth.

      https://www-theweek-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.theweek.co.uk/news/crime/954928/what-happens-if-prison-places-run-out?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16379140474611&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theweek.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fcrime%2F954928%2Fwhat-happens-if-prison-places-run-out

      'Getafix

      Delete
  24. That may be the way they choose to apply it. However, the deal signed up to by all the unions doesn't have those specifications in it.
    It's not their money. Why would you decide to hold onto an increasingly disgruntled workforce? Especially now that they have paid off their friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It's not their money."

      When the CRC clearances first happened in 2015 hundreds of staff who had already been shafted into the CRCs were then thrown overboard & cheated out of their full EVR entitlement. The money wasn't the CRCs, but they kept it, the govt sanctioned it & the unions kept schtum.

      "Why would you decide to hold onto an increasingly disgruntled workforce?"

      Keeping hold of increasingly disgruntled staff allows for the opportunity to dismiss them under other procedures without having to pay a penny.

      Delete
    2. Yes capability is a factor but they hope most leave without fuss due to overwork. The crcs in most cases below aco structures did steal the evr entitlements endorsed by Napo. There was some well managed skirmishes that saw a few individuals protected but I hear Napo tried to help the employers do members down. The fact they never took a case to law tells you all you need. There are too many ex staff on zero pensions having gone early and reduced evr. Great legacy Napo.

      Delete
    3. The EVR entitlements were properly negotiated & jointly agreed by MoJ, employers & the unions. The CRCs claimed that they were *not* party in that agreement therefore they didn't have to honour it but... they accepted all other terms & conditions that were transferred with the staff because that was what was required of them. The JNCC/EVR agreement should have been honoured as well but the greedy shithead CRCs exploited a combination of loopholes signed off by Napo & bullying tactics during the first few months of their tenure - with what can only be regarded as the silent approval of Napo & explicit approval by MoJ.

      It is a shameful landmark of throwing staff out onto the street in both napo's & probation's history.

      Those responsible for the decisions & inaction will no doubt remain untouched by their disgraceful, immoral behaviour - but at least *they* received pockets full of cash. So that's okay then.

      And no doubt similarly immoral practices will continue in the current rounds.

      Delete
    4. Morals have nothing to do with business. Your reckoning of the crcs refusal to honour those conditions is not as it was. They tried the crcs to avoid all terms and conditions because business operates at minimum cost maximum profits. People don't matter. In some part there were some really clever people who were able to box off the pathetic crcs deadheads and boy some of them were really thick. Sadly too many aided by the HR departments and Napo.

      Delete